Thinking of Changing to a Japanese Driving License?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

As we all know, public transportation in Tokyo is very convenient and the trains can take us anywhere we want. However, sometimes when I travel to remote areas, I wish I could have a driving license so that I would be able to rent a car. So, recently I decided to get a Japanese driving license.

I got my driving license in China years ago and am an experienced driver, in my humble opinion. After researching the process of exchanging a foreign license for a Japanese one on the internet, I made a phone call to the license center to make sure that I would bring all the required documents. I was told that they needed first to check my passport, my Chinese license, and my Japanese residence card before proceeding with anything else. 

After the Bon vacation, I went to the license center. Here’s another important thing to note, make sure to clear out your schedule when you plan to visit the center. What surprised me was that I arrived at the driving center at 10:30 in the morning but the staff told me that my number would only be called around 18:00 in the evening (why does it take so much time?!). Wandering around that district for a whole day, it was finally my turn for the document screening. When I was leaving the building, I was perhaps one of the few persons who were not actually working there. 

After preparing all of the necessary documents, I went there again for the “Knowledge Confirmation”. I was worried that the requirement would be very high because I heard that I would need to get 90 out of 100 points to pass the exam, only to actually find out that for those who have a license in other countries like me, only 7 corrects out of 10 would be required to pass the “confirmation”. It made me, however, question the efficacies of such assessments; would they really confirm that I was well-versed with the regulations in Japan? I strongly doubt that.

The next step is the “Skill Confirmation” which is also the hardest part for me. I am used to driving on the right side but in Japan, as you should already know, it is very much, and quite literally the opposite. Before I went for the confirmation, I practiced by driving my friend’s car in a parking area. I know this is not the best idea, and I wouldn’t recommend this officially, but at least it gave me some sense of driving on the left. And with a substantial regaining of confidence, I went for the confirmation.

Get in the car, lock the door, set the seat and mirrors, fasten my seat belt, and go! In the beginning, everything went well. I kept on reminding myself to drive on the left, but when I was about to turn left, I turned on the signal with my left hand unconsciously – Voila! The windscreen wiper started working. It’s quite a laugh, I know. Thankfully, the police officer didn’t take lots of points from that. He was really civil until I made a huge mistake. When I came out of the S-curve track, the officer told me to turn right. I did so, and I also kept driving on the left in mind. However, the real left was not “the left” I was driving on. “Did you notice that the centerline of this road is on your left?” the officer asked. Then I realized there were three lanes in total, and unfortunately for me, two of them were for oncoming traffic. By that moment, I knew there was no way I could salvage this. I was, however, not very upset, for I knew that most of the people failed in their first skill confirmation. (Another point you should remember, brace yourself for failure!) Calmy, I made another reservation for another skill confirmation.

This anecdote was in fact very recent; it all happened last week, so its relevance should be guaranteed for those who are similarly thinking of changing their licenses. I do really hope to get the license by the end of this year, so wish me luck! 

Tianyi Li

Waseda '21

A senior student majored in Economics. Interested in international communication and pop-culture. Love travelling and sports