yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Spending Autumn in Tokyo – Nagatoromachi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

With the hot afternoon sun in Tokyo nowadays, it’s easy to forget that everyone’s favorite season – fall is just around the corner! Sweater weather, anyone? Well, one of the great things about studying in Japan is that it is a beautiful country with four distinct seasons – each offering us some very beautiful scenery. This season, autumn leaves are all the rage! The Her Campus Waseda team has selected some beautiful places in and around Tokyo where you can enjoy looking at beautiful autumn leaves while participating in various activities in nature. First up, we have Nagatoromachi!

River Boating

Nagatoromachi (長瀞町) is a popular tourist site in Chichibu District, Saitama prefecture. It is especially famous for the simply splendid Nagatoro River. Approximately 6km long, the river is a great spot where tourists can enjoy activities such as river boating and whitewater rafting. River boating along the Nagatoro River manages the feat of being relaxing yet thrilling at the same time! The scenery full of autumn leaves is quiet and serene – a wonderful treat for the eye. Yet, the busy currents of the river will ensure that the boat trip remains thrilling and fun as well! If riding boats isn’t your thing, you can choose to ride through just half the river and return for 1,600 yen. The full ride will cost 3,000 yen for those who’ll like a longer time on the river.

Tsukinoishi Park (月の石もみじ公園)

Tsukinoishi Park is one of the main tourist attractions in Nagotoromachi where we can for beautiful fall leaves. Starting from mid-November, the park is illuminated, making the fall leaves even more magnificent to look at! This year’s illumination will run from November 14th to 30th from five to nine every night. Boys better take note since we can’t think of a more romantic spot for a date! 

Mt. Hodosan Ropeway (宝登山ロープウェイ)

With Mt. Hodosan Ropeway, viewing the autumn scenery begins at the top of the mountain – the view from the ropeway is amazing! It starts at Sankuro station and goes all the way up to Mt. Hodosan in approximately 5 minutes. Since the mountain is not too high, it would also be a good idea to go up using the ropeway and walk down from the top of Mountain Hodosan. A one-way ticket costs about 480 yen, and a round-trip ticket is 820 yen.

Cycling

You can also rent a bicycle either for 4 hours or 8 hours and ride around all the tourist attractions in Nagatoromachi. Visit shrines and museums while enjoying the comfortable fall weather and the fiery red of autumn leaves. (2,000 yen for 8 hours and 1,000 yen for 4 hours)

Aside from those listed above, you can even try out paragliding, glass crafts or making ceramics. So what are you waiting for? Grab some friends and go to Nagatoromachi now to take a short break away from the bustle of the city and indulge in some nature!