Spend a relaxing day in Daikanyama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

The Fall semester has already begun but do you find yourself already missing vacation? If you need an idea about where to spend your next study break, I have the place for you! Tokyo is a vast and vibrant city filled with landmarks and attractions, and the Daikanyama (代官山) area is one of them. With the train station nestled conveniently in the middle of the shops and restaurants, this is an ideal location for a friendly rendez-vous.

Recently, I had the pleasure of spending a day in Daikanyama with a friend, and it was spent frolicking through charming shops and cafes. Our first stop of the day was the well-known Tsutaya Bookstore, composed of three buildings worth of books, music and movies. I was especially impressed by the variety of books and magazines that packed the shelves from top to bottom. As an avid reader, this place was a small piece of heaven on earth.  There is also a Starbucks to keep you caffeinated throughout your visit and a more proper cafe for fancier occasions.  Even during peak business hours, the store provided ample space for customers to sit back and relax for a good couple of hours.

Photo by Clem Onojeghuo on Unsplash

After spending most of the day out and about around Tsutaya, we wrapped things up with a sweet retreat to Queen’s Collection Chocolate Cafe. If you’re a chocoholic, this is certainly the place for you! You can smell the delicious scent of chocolate wafting in the air as soon as you step into the room and the staff is more than happy to explain the menu to you. Their chocolate smoothies, cakes and individually tailored hot chocolates, will leave you with a difficult decision but a whole world of possibilities. In the end, I chose a simple yet decadent chocolate cake while my friend took on the customizable hot chocolate, complete with a choice in chocolate-type and amount! If you have a sweet tooth and you find yourself in the area, be sure to stop by this spot.

Daikanyama is definitely a must-visit location for anyone who is looking to spend a relaxing day surrounded by good food and unique shops! Be sure to check it out!

Thanks for reading! :)

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.