Snapshot Japan: Koi fish and its significance in Japan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Pictured: koi fishes in Kokoen Garden next to Himeji Castle in Hyogo Prefecture. 

Koi are significant in Japanese culture. Although it is generally known as carp in English, koi, derived from Japanese are bred and kept for ornamental purposes in koi ponds and gardens.

Do you know? 

Legend has it that at the Dragon’s Gate on Yellow River, there is a steep fall. Despite the tough conditions, if a koi successfully swims upstream and arrives at the gate, it will be transformed into a dragon. Conversely, if it is caught in the middle of its attempt, it shall face death on the chopping board with the courage of a samurai. Following this legend, the koi fish attains a symbol for bravery and aspiration in the Japanese context. 

Also, being a homophone to the Japanese word “恋 (こい)” meaning love or affection, koi fish is also a symbol of love and friendship in Japan! 

Shu Shien is a sophomore at School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda Unviersity.