Promises of Gay Rights in Japan: Will it Develop?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

In the past several years, a wave of LGBTQ activism has been sweeping across the globe against deep-rooted discrimination. America in particular has been a hotspot for the movement; in response to recent attacks on the LGBTQ community, more are rallying together and calling for equality.

While different areas of the world are busily setting the course for positive action, things still remain quiet in Japan. Despite growing awareness and LGBTQ-associated activities taking place here and there, gay rights still remain below the surface and do not receive attention like in other societies.

The LGBTQ community, especially gay people, face a culture of shame in Japan as such people and related issues are considered taboo. Such matters are hardly taught, or rather ignored, in public areas such as schools. Besides the fact that gay marriage has not been legalized on a national level yet, Japan has a tendency to strongly adhere to heteronormativity, as seen in the lack of representation of same-sex couples in the media. The discrimination permeates deeper as “some politicians and government officials even make explicitly homophobic statements in public”.

So, when will Japan become welcoming grounds to gay and LGBTQ people? When will gay rights be fostered? It may seem dubious, considering the aforementioned information regarding Japan’s attitude towards the community, but there are rays of hope. There is potential for Japan to become a gay or LGBTQ-friendly environment and here is why:

Unlike other religious cultures such as America, where Christianity has a strong influence on society and politics, Japan is a secular country – meaning there are fewer risks of collected, violent attacks against gay people. Although this appears to set the bar low for safety, this is crucial as in numerous areas around the world, including America, where gay people and those alike have long been targeted by large religious groups. Including the notorious Westboro Baptist Church in America, infamous for labeling gay people as “sins,” there are such major, hostile groups in various countries regardless of how “developed” they are. At least Japan does not allow religion into major or political spheres; providing gay people a less dangerous environment than such societies.

In addition to secular reasons, gun control is strictly enforced, which starkly contrasts from America where shooting incidents are prevalent. America epitomizes the perils caused by guns, which have long caused great suffering and misery for gay and LGBTQ folks. The Pulse Shooting in Orlando was a devastating blow as it once again proved the brutality produced when guns and anti-gay hatred come hand in hand. As long as guns cannot be easily passed to homophobes in Japan, the gay community will not have to worry about getting shot.

It will be even better if Japan looked to Ireland for guidance; Ireland is considered to be one of the world’s most LGBTQ-friendly places thanks to its progressive attitude. Gay marriage is of course legalized, with a range of laws that ban discrimination against the LGBTQ community, such as the Employment Equality Act in 1998. Perhaps Ireland may shine a light on the future of Japan’s course for becoming a fair, comfortable society for gay and likewise people. Though there are many obstacles along the way, there are nevertheless prospects for Japan’s LGBTQ community. 

Anna Kono

Waseda '20

Anna is a graduate from Waseda University in the SILS department. Likes art, animals, anything that is dandy and stylish. Needs to go to the sea every now and then to recharge.