This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Cats are an everyday sight in Japan. The cats in this case, mostly refer to the feral ones: those that dart across the streets, peek from the shadows of flowerpots, and languidly nap in patches of sunlight. Having multiplied and tightly ingrained themselves into human society, stray cats or noraneko (野良猫) as they are called in Japanese, are essentially part of the Japanese landscape. It is difficult not to catch sight of one while strolling in a neighborhood. Their presence is well established in the arts; decorating stationery, handkerchiefs, etc. Some areas have become tourist hotspots by focusing or nourishing stray cats. The tranquil, old-fashioned district of Yanaka is famous for its cats; souvenirs and foods bear feline designs everywhere. Perhaps one of the most well-known destinations for cat lovers, Aoshima, or the so-called “Cat Island” is home to more than 120 cats. At this point, it appears they peacefully coexist with humans and their urban surroundings. Or do they really?

Despite their immense numbers and normalized existence, there are questions on whether it is time to pick them out of the streets. This is not so surprising, considering the daily complaints and troubles that include disturbances to the neighborhood: yowling and shrieking in the middle of the night prevent good sleep. This, of course, leads to disputes and in worse scenarios, result in people moving out to quieter places. Health and sanitation cannot be ignored as well. Since they live outdoors and travel to various places, strays carry diseases and parasites that can be transmitted to humans or even to indoor cats. News of a woman who died from a mite-carried disease after getting bitten by a stray shed light on the dangers surrounding strays. Even when it poses no serious threats to health, urination is another problem when cats mark their territories on human property, leaving stains and odor.

Because they are left to roam freely, they are usually not vaccinated nor neutered. This is why stray cats have become so prolific, multiplying rapidly and taking over the streets. Although Japan gives a friendly impression of being feline-friendly, by spots such as the aforesaid Yanaka neighborhood, people experience troubles and difficulties with coexistence in reality. In a grim contrast from popular images of cat cafés and parks, strays in parks are captured and culled by city officials who received complaints from local residents. Not forgetting to mention the helpless adults and kittens that get run over on busy streets or when sleeping under cars. Cases of kittens being found in people’s backyards are also common; the nooks and crannies of Japanese neighborhoods make ideal spots for giving birth.

In current times, with an ever-growing awareness and movement for animal rights, questions arise regarding Japan’s stray cats. While there are organizations that are aiming to capture and house strays, their efforts are eclipsed by the immense scale. This is further hampered by the pet industry, which still looms over adoption when it comes to purchasing pets. Unlike other countries such as Australia and Germany where adoption is strongly encouraged, many people still turn to pet shops in Japan. Not only does this dim the attention towards strays in need of adoption, but it also gives profit to the unethical business practices of the pet industry, which typically separates babies from their mothers far younger than recommended

Is it too late? Have strays reached a point that it is near impossible to control them now? There is no doubt that the situation is difficult to solve, given how strays have become established as a very mundane aspect of Japanese life. Though it is unrealistic to capture all strays in one swoop, neutering is one foremost step — preventing unwanted births cuts down the numbers and potentially saves lives from unfortunate deaths. Stray cats, a daily sight of Japan, may find themselves in a protective home or under close maintenance in the years to come.

Anna Kono

Waseda '20

Anna is a graduate from Waseda University in the SILS department. Likes art, animals, anything that is dandy and stylish. Needs to go to the sea every now and then to recharge.