This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Novice to makeup? Too lazy to wear makeup to college? Feeling uncomfortable to wear heavy makeup? But are you still willing to apply some makeup? Then, how about trying on natural makeup in the next 10 minutes?

Photo courtesy of StockSnap

For those of you who aren’t sure what natural makeup is, it’s a very light makeup that looks like you’re wearing almost no makeup. This type of makeup will match perfectly for all tones of skin colors.

Caution: There are infinite ways to wear natural makeup. In this article, I’ll demonstrate my style of natural makeup. You don’t need to follow each process in a precise manner.

Photo by Daniel Reche

Step 0: Have these following cosmetic products (listed below) prepared. If you don’t have some of these items, it’s okay to just use what you have. Don’t feel the pressure to buy new cosmetics! (For example, you can use light pink blush instead of light orange blush – the colors I listed are just my suggestions for natural makeup.)

• Sunscreen
  • Facial powder (any color that matches your skin tone is preferable)
  • Light brown eyebrow powder
  • Light brown and dark brown eyeshadows (or an eyeshadow palette with brown gradation)
  • Black liquid eyeliner (optional)
  • Eye curler (optional)
  • Black mascara
  • Light orange blush
  • Light pink lipstick
  • Makeup powder puff (if necessary)
  • Cosmetic brushes for eyebrows, eyeshadows, cheeks, lip stick (if necessary)

Photo by Yue Su

Step 1: Firstly, before anything else, apply a sunscreen on all over your face. Even if you do or don’t wear makeup, it’s still important to put on a sunscreen in your daily lives, as it protects you from being exposed from ultraviolet (UV) rays.

Step 2: After the sunscreen permeates, use a makeup powder puff to apply a facial powder on all over your face. You can also wear blemish balm (BB) cream, concealer, or any kinds of foundations of your choice, but I would say that a facial powder is more than enough for a quick natural makeup.

Step 3: Carefully put a light brown eyebrow powder on your eyebrow brush, and color your right eyebrow in the direction from left to right. Add more eyebrow powder to your brush, if necessary. Color your left eyebrow in the direction from right to left. Make sure that your right and left eyebrow makeup look symmetrical, with equal amount of eyebrow powder applied to each side.

Photo by Clamy Cosmetics

Step 4: With your eyeshadow brush, put on a light brown eyeshadow, and apply it on your right upper eyelid, in the direction from left to right. Add more eyeshadow to your brush, if necessary. Put on the eyeshadow on your left upper eyelid too, in the direction from right to left. Make sure that your right and left eye makeup look symmetrical, with equal amount of eyeshadow powder applied to each side.

Step 5: With your black liquid eyeliner, draw a thin line on your upper lash line on your right eye, in the direction from left to right. Draw a thin line on your upper lash line on your left eye as well, in the direction from right to left. Make sure that the lines that you draw on both eyes look symmetrical, and more so, that both lines are drawn very close to your eyelashes. If you find the eyeliner part difficult, you can alternatively use a dark brown eyeshadow (with an eyeshadow brush that is as thin as possible) to draw lines to your upper lash lines.

Step 6: Curl your eyelashes with an eye curler. Although this step is optional, I would say that the eye curler can help the next step progress more smoothly.

Photo by Bruno Glätsch

Step 7: Put on a black mascara on your eyelashes. For a natural makeup, one layer of mascara coating is more than enough, but if you want, you can apply one or two more layers of it. However, make sure that the thickness and the lengths of your right and left eyelashes look about the same.

Step 8: Using the brush for cheeks, gently apply light orange blush on your right cheek in the direction from left to right. Be careful not to put too much of its powder to the brush, and only add more of it, if necessary. Apply the blush on your left cheek too, in the direction from right to left. Make sure that the blush is applied symmetrically on your right and left cheeks, and the amount of its powder looks equal on each side.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

Step 9: Lastly, apply a light pink lipstick on your lips. You can either put the lipstick directly on your lips, or use a lip brush to apply it on your lips (the latter one is more recommended as it helps the color maintain on your lips for longer hours).

Congratulations! Now, you learned how to wear a natural makeup! If you practice it well, you’ll be able to do it within 10 minutes!

Remember, whether you wear natural or heavy makeup, or even if you don’t choose to wear makeup, your inner beauty is more important than your physical appearance. You are already beautiful, so continue to love, support, and show gratitude towards others.

Maria Watabe

Waseda '20

Loves writing, singing, and listening to music!