This Might Be the Next Food Trend Amongst Japanese Instagrammers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Trends come and go, and perhaps food trends embody that ephemerality the most – you had a full plate of food 10 minutes ago but now there’s not a crumb left. Okay that might have been too literal, the avocado toast trend is still going strong after all. Who knows, this new #wavetoast (or #ウェーブトースト) idea might just emerge as the talk of the town.

via Instagram

The wave toast idea apparently originates from a cafe in Seoul, MND COFFEE, and has been recreated several times by Japanese Instagrammers as of late. For instance:

via Instagram

And…

via Instagram

It’s not hard to see why it’s starting to get a bit of attention as, not only does the symmetry and repetition of colors catch one’s eye, but it’s also easily recreatable in your own kitchen. All you need is a slice of toast, cream cheese and food coloring or jam, and maybe just 10 minutes. Possibly 15 if you want to get that perfect Instagram shot afterwards. You can also make a savory version of the wave toast using mashed pumpkin and avocado. If you need more detailed instructions, this website has a helpful step-by-step video demonstrating the technique to achieving this wave pattern complete with a recipe.

via macaroni

The possibilities to this trend are endless! Any color, flavor, or even shape of toast are up for experimenting with. I don’t know about you, but I’m going to give this a go for sure.

Liberal Arts student at Waseda University from Singapore. Lives for the beauty of words, images, and the occasional pastry or two. Also blogs at https://amandakjy.com/.