This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Name: Johnny Huang          

Birthday / Zodiac Sign: Pisces

Hometown: Champaign, Illinois

Home University: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign     

Major: Global Studies: Technology, Communication, and Knowledge Systems

Relationship Status: In a relationship    

Hobbies: Chinese Yoyo, Hiking, attending obscure festivals

Why did you decide to study abroad in Japan?After living in a little town in Midwest America for 8 years, the idea of participating in mosh-pits with people in fancy suits on the subways during Tokyo rush hour everyday didn’t sound so bad.

What surprised you the most about Japan?It’s absolutely normal if you find old ladies with dyed purple hair roaming down the streets.

What is the biggest difference between Waseda University and your home university?There are escalators inside the school buildings!

Favorite spot on campus:The Café outside Okuma Garden

Favorite place in Japan:Kyoto is a must go!

What do you want to accomplish during your study abroad?I’d like to experience Japanese traditions as well as bring new perspectives to the Japanese friends I’ll make. Also, I want to try every flavor of onigiri in the convenient stores.

What do you look for in a significant other?Somebody I can share entire car rides in silence with without feeling awkward.

Describe your ideal date:Meeting up at 4am and roaming through the city being socially irresponsible, leaving a trail of mischief, and going back to bed before the sun comes out.