jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

If I Had a Time Machine…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

These few years, reminiscence seems to be a popular trending topic that more and more people are discussing about – as a fashion statement, restaurant decoration, topics of various dramas, or Bruno Mars’ 24K Magic. Now, let’s imagine you have a time machine – just saying, no, I’m not talking about the Time Machine on your Mac. If you really possessed a “time machine”, what would you do?

Probably what we think about in our lives sometimes. (Image source)

Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days, when our momma sang us to sleep but now we’re stressed out…” Some people would agree with Twenty One Pilots and definitely want to travel to the past. More specifically, to fix your past mistakes, which could’ve possibly led to drastically different life choices for the future. For me, I would change my personality to become more extrovert and sociable, and give myself the ability to know my passion for my future career. Besides that, perhaps you would’ve expressed more love towards your family, appreciated your friends more, or even confessed to your crush.

It seems like going back to the past is somewhat satisfying and the majority of people would probably choose that option, but let’s change things up a bit… what if you could travel to the future instead? Five years from now, working happily, or fifteen years from now, perhaps already building a happy family of your own? Even though time travel is impossible, I would be really curious to see who I will become in five years’ time. This could probably motivate me to improve my present self more, not to have any regrets or forget to pursue my dreams.

There are definitely some people that would just want to stay in the present: they enjoy life to the maximum, love their surroundings and appreciate what they already possess in their hands. While pondering on time travel, this can provide people nowadays with the opportunity to rethink  their lives – what they have achieved and whether they would have changed their life path or not. Sometimes, I would think “Give me that damn time machine” during low moods, but we probably shouldn’t have to think that much at all and simply spice up our lives instead.

KPop overdose 24/7, amateur foodie, NBA addict, and ambivert Taiwanese International.