This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

For the latest installment of Humans of Waseda, learn more about Lucci, a Chinese student at the Waseda Business Graduate School Department. Not only is he adept at producing beautiful artwork, but he’s also currently teaching painting in Tokyo. 

1. How long have you been learning to draw or paint? Why did you decide to learn art? 

I have been drawing and painting since I was 6 years old. My mom made me do it at first and I found great fun doing it after taking several kids’ classes. So big thank you to my mom.

2. What does ‘art’ mean to you?

I think art is a unique way to express oneself or the world around. Art can be anything, either tangible or just some concepts. You can define the rule, there is no “correct” way of creating a piece of art, it’s all about “your” way of doing it. With the development of new technology, we are having more platforms and access to different kinds of art. The definition of art might be revolutionized again.

3. Since you are skilled in art, why did you decide to study business at graduate school?

Well, I actually didn’t have enough courage or determination to go to art school. I would say I picked a “safe” or “responsible” route. Till now, I still don’t have great interest in finance, but I learned a lot about it. For sure it’s great to focus on one specific area that you are keen on starting from the very beginning, but it’s also important to learn things at a more comprehensive level. There is no “right” decision but you can always make it “right”.

4. You are currently teaching others to paint. How long have you been teaching, and what does teaching art mean to you? Talk about the experience.

Almost one year, I guess. I enjoy teaching and sharing my art or thoughts with others. Teaching is more like a two-way communication. I am also learning from my students and always amazed by all those different touches or styles of painting created by different people. It’s just so unique that I can get inspiration from those artworks. And as I mentioned earlier about my definition of art, with all the platforms and rising standards of living, more people are trying to learn and create art. We have easier access and more ways of communicating with others. I think it’s a good time for art education and it will keep getting better.

5. As you are graduating soon, are you going to continue and produce more artwork? Would your potential future career be related to art?

Of course yes! That would be great, but for my early career it might be another industry like finance, but I will always keep drawing as a hobby and make it into a secondary job! In terms of current goals, the first one to take commissions on Instagram and develop my art account. The second one is working on paintings for exhibition and getting more connections with artists and art vendors.

KPop overdose 24/7, amateur foodie, NBA addict, and ambivert Taiwanese International.