How to Level Up (Be the Best Version of Yourself!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

How to Level Up 

Honestly, coming up with an appropriate article title for “Tips on Becoming the Best Version of Yourself” isn’t easy. How can you create a genuine-sounding title when the topic itself, (tips of becoming the best version of yourself,) sounds exactly like a corny clickbait article? Because I try to stray away from that sort of thing and I try to sound as true to myself as possible, this is me, humbly referring to my personal experience on how to level up! (becoming the best version of yourself) 

Here are a few points that I am currently following on becoming a better me. 

• Detoxify

Detoxifying is always a good idea after you’ve gone through a rough and sticky patch. Don’t you want to feel rejuvenated after all that hustling? A complete detox is necessary for a better and positive mindset, the brain juice to keep you motivated and functioning as you kick off your voyage of becoming the dopest version of yourself. And I’m not just talking about the literal one-week-green-juice-oh-so-healthy-and-trendy-detox, I’m talkin’ about physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally getting rid of the toxic things in your life. Although it might seem like I was hatin’ on the juice cleanse earlier, I have to say that a liquid cleanse (sorry, I don’t mean alcohol), eating better, and exercising to sweat out the toxins might actually be a good start. Once you start feeling physically refreshed, chances are your mind will naturally follow. Now its time to say goodbye to goons who try to bring you down and make you feel small. Being around people who make you feel insignificant will unconsciously lead you into believing that you are less than who you are. Don’t fall for their trick, cut those people out of your life. Stay away from bad vibes and surround yourself with like-minded people who believe in you and appreciate you. Oh, also get rid of bad habits such as being a Negative Nancy or comparing yourself to other goons. This step is mucho importanto.

• Being kind and understanding

If people could see things in the same light then life would be so much easier. As cliché as this may sound, but try putting yourself in other people’s shoes. Cultivating empathy or trying to understand will help you practice patience and tenderness, the two qualities which importances are undervalued. Even if someone is being rude to you, instead of being offended, try to understand and not let yourself be affected by the negative energy omitted by this person who might just be having a sad day. Everyone in this world is just like you, we are all very vulnerable and we try to get by every day without accumulating more cuts and scratches because at the same time we are also tending our wounds. The world needs a little more softness. 

• Be at peace with yourself

*spoiler alert, kinda* I was watching Kung Fu Panda 2 the other day, and the movie started with Po the Panda attempting to achieve inner peace to up his Kung Fu game. However, he was unable to achieve inner peace due to one of life’s daily stresses aka fighting villains, and on top of that, Po also learned the story behind his real parents who left him. Although he was in a bad place, in the end, he found his inner peace and he utilized his new skill to defeat the bad guys. Even an animated panda knows what’s up! Though Kung Fu Panda might not be the best example, the inner peace part had me reflect upon myself. Being at peace with yourself means only focusing on you, not the other irrelevant goons, or things that are out of your control.  Being at peace also means knowing your worth, accepting your imperfections and forgiving people and things that have happened. There are no bad experiences, only experiences that’ll expand your wisdoms and allow you to earn life stars for level-upping. Lamenting on the past is a hurdle that you need to jump over, burn, destroy whatever. You are where you should be now, so be at peace with yourself. Be like Po and fight off your demons.

• Be a sponge (lol)

Absorb new things and expand your perspective! Whether it’s memorizing new vocabularies, going to a heavy metal concert, or being more culinarily adventurous, just be a sponge and soak all of it up. Everything that we take for granted in the world has a background that you might not know of. Here is one of the fascinating things that I’ve learned: avocados are always in season because  they do not ripen on trees, so basically you can store the avocados on trees year round and only pick them off when you wish to eat them. I could binge-learn on these facts all day because it makes me see the world as a fascinating place with cool things I could absorb each day!

These are just the tips I try to follow so I could be a better me. I’m not saying I’m better than you by imposing these tips on you, because you might even have a better set of rules for yourself. This is simply just a guidance for myself for days when I feel lazy, mean, and even hate myself. However, if you can refer to these tips and apply it to yourself, that’s amazing too. I hope we can all try to be the best of ourselves and ultimately be the good in the world!

I'm trying to be the good in this world.