This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Halloween in Tokyo is traditionally characterized by the vibrant and festive city-wide costume party in Shibuya. Yet, with perhaps the largest possible Halloween scare — COVID-19 — still looming over us, taking part in the Shibuya Halloween chaos (regardless whether there will be one or not) undeniably irrational and unsafe; simply unthinkable.

Nevertheless, there is absolutely no reason for you to be discouraged. Halloween this year might be different, but it is a chance to spend more intimate and wholesome time with family and/or friends. To give you some ideas, here are some ways for you to keep the Halloween spirit alive while staying safe:

1. Dress Up

Just because you can’t go out to Shibuya to show off your costume doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy one of the most fun things about Halloween. You should plan your outfit. Coordinate with friends. Be as ridiculous or funky with it as you want. Take this opportunity to wear the outfits you would otherwise be too ashamed to wear in public. 

When you’re all dolled up and ready, you can stage a fashion show or a photo shoot with friends. Make sure to take a lot of fun photos. You can even make your own Tiktok videos – Halloween edition!

2. Host a Horror Movie Night 

What is the point of Halloween if you don’t go out of your way to spook yourself out? Netflix has a collection of classic titles such as “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”, “Friday the 13th” and “The Shining” amongst many others. If you’re craving for newer content, Netflix also has a line-up of upcoming originals to fill up your scare-o-meter. 

3. Make Creepy Meals

Sure, food is great. But a creative, Halloween-themed feast is even better. Spice up your morning with a Halloween avocado toast.

Or make some Mummy Pizzas for a more fulfilling mid-day meal and some Spooky Halloween Popsicles for dessert. Have more time on your hands? Why not bake Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin pies to make up for the lack of Halloween pumpkins to carve in Tokyo?

There are countless recipes online for you to try that will definitely make you a Super Host ready for next year’s Halloween house party.

4. Concoct a Halloween Cocktail

In a time of online Nomikais (飲み会 – Japanese for ‘drinking party’), it is not enough to have the usual Chu-Hi or wine for your Halloween Nomikai. It is a must to challenge yourself to have a more exciting and fun time drinking, albeit at home with people on a screen. Concoct your own cocktail with one of these ghoulish cocktail recipes from Brit+Co and be proud of the mixologist-in-the-making that you are.

On the other hand, if you are having a small gathering for friends, it would certainly be worth surprising them with some Vodka Tonic Jelly Shot Bats or some “intoxicating” snacks with Drunken Gummy Bears. No doubt that this will reinvigorate everyone’s Halloween spirits and create the perfect Halloween vibe.

*Disclaimer: Please don’t try this if you are 20 years old and under, and always drink responsibly!

Happy (early) Halloween, everyone!

4th year student at SILS. Hobbies include procrastinating and snacking.