High School Musical 4: Every fan’s dream or a terrible nightmare to be?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

If you’re reading this article, chances are it’s because you are fellow Wildcat who will forever be a sucker for the HSM franchise.

Disney brought us the first HSM movie ten years ago (still can’t believe it) with a cast and storyline that will be in that mental box of nostalgia for a very long time. I seriously loved and obsessed over the High School Musical movies from beginning to end. I was there when it premiered on Disney Channel and I was there when the final movie hit the big screen. *pause to wipe tears* Like any other pre-teen girl, I fell head-over-heels for Troy Bolton and his sweet high school romance with Gabriella Montez, and once the franchise came to a close, I only wished that it would somehow make a comeback.

Well, I guess it’s true when they say ‘be careful what you wish for’ because High School Musical 4 is officially happening, and I’m not sure I’m completely on board.

Before getting into specifics about why I’m reluctant to return to East High, let’s look over what we know about the new movie so far. According to a recent article by E News, the following is true:

1. The new installment will follow new Wildcats and even some West High Knights (Check out a list of the new main characters here

2. Director of Teen Beach Movie and Teen Beach Movie 2, Jeffrey Hornaday, is set to direct and choreograph the movie

3.High School Musical scriptwriter, Peter Barsocchini will return with help of Dan Berendsen who worked on Hannah Montana: The Movie

So, why would I be against a reboot of my favorite Disney franchise? While I am excited for the return of a familiar setting, I can’t help but fear that the new storyline will miserably fail to live up to its legendary predecessor. Am I just being a grumpy old timer who can’t accept the new? Possibly. But it pains me to think of a High School Musical with no Zac Efron to play Troy Bolton and without the rest of the phenomenal original cast gracing the halls of East High.

Watching the freshman cast in High School Musical 3 was hard enough, could I get on board with an entirely new cast? Although there has been no official word about original cast appearances, my fears about not being able to connect with the new cast remain.

Putting my worries aside, there is nothing I can do but wait and see what the outcome will be. Even though there is only one true High School Musical franchise in my stubborn mind, I’m always down for a new batch of catchy Disney music and if HSM 4 can provide that for me, I’ll be satisfied.

What are your thoughts? Is the world and, more importantly, your soul ready for the new Wildcats of East High?

Thanks for reading! :) 

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.