mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Guide to Summer In (and Around) Tokyo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Oh sultry summer. Don’t we all have this complicated love-hate relationship with summer? On one hand, we rejoice for it’s finally, FINALLY, time to show off some skin with crop tops and bikinis! (Not to mention eating gelato also feels so much less sinful in summer.) On the other hand, no matter how little we wear, the heat is simply too. much. to. bear. Summer in Tokyo, however, has a charming element that entices us to fall in love with it helplessly despite the sweltering heat. What’s so hot about Tokyo in summer? 

[pagebreak]

FIREWORKS FESTIVALS

The ultimate indication that you are spending summer in Tokyo is the sight of yukata-clad Tokyoites even on the supposedly young and trendy streets of Shibuya. On evenings when fireworks displays are slated to take place, people young and old don casual traditional garments of various colours and patterns, and gather in groups at train stations, parks and riversides, transforming our familiar neon-lighted city into one filled with delightful traditional ambience.

Why not join the locals in the fireworks festivals, the epitome of summer activity in Japan? Witness the brilliant bursts of colours and get wide-eyed by the splendid pyrotechnic art with the evening sky as canvas as you enjoy drinks and snacks with good companions. You can even catch the sunset before the actual fireworks display begins! Thanks to intense competitions between various pyrotechnic groups, we are pampered with an entire season’s line-up of extravagant and sensational fireworks shows. The variety of fireworks designs and colours will definitely take your breath away! Make sure you visit the food stalls (屋台 yatai) set up around the vicinity for an authentic Japanese festive experience. Eating shaved ice (カキゴリ kakigori) as well as participating in goldfish scooping (金魚すくい kingyo sukui) are must-dos!

With an impressive number of 22,500 fireworks expected to be launched this year and a rich history of more than 280 years, the Sumida River Fireworks Festival is indubitably the signature fireworks festival of Tokyo. If you missed this prestigios celebration this year, be sure to catch it next year!

If these amazing colours and designs don’t awe you, I don’t know what else will. Edogawa Fireworks Festival is a festival that is highly recommended even by the locals!

Tokyo Bay Grand Fireworks Festival is another dazzling event that is guaranteed to pique your sight senses with its dynamic pyrotechnic performance that colours up Tokyo’s skyline beautifully. 

Read our Guide to Summer Fireworks Festival 2014 for a more comprehensive list of fireworks displays in town this year!

[pagebreak]

BEACHES

Imagine yourself relaxing on the soft, fine sand while listening to the rhythmic sounds of waves crashing onto the shoreline. Imagine your cheek receiving the warm kiss of the gentle sea breeze, your hair dancing in the wind to the music of summer. Imagine bathing in the cool sea under the scorching sun. Don’t all these visions tantalise your senses? What’s there not to love about beaches?? Most importantly, what’s summer without some fun in the sea??!

While Tokyo does not boast any fantastic beaches (except for those at Ogasawara Islands which is 25 hours away on boat from Tokyo Bay), the prefectures around the city definitely do, and they are pretty rave-worthy! Just a few hours away from the central city, you can transport yourself to little Hawaii-s for a short getaway. Most of them are easily accessible via trains or buses. Depending on the beach, you may surf, kayak, snorkel or even dive! Care for a friendly game of beach volleyball, anyone?

Located at Izu Peninsula which is southwest to Tokyo in Shizuoka prefecture, Shirahama Beach is our favourite beach pick this summer! Approximately 2.5 hours away from Tokyo station by train, the beautiful white sandy beach of Shirahama is especially inviting in summer. Hot spring (温泉onsen) enthusiasts will be thrilled to hear that the beach is also popular for its rejuvenating hot springs, although we’re not sure if you would want to enter them in this blazing heat. Don’t miss the glorious sunset view from Shirahama, which is sure to tug at your heartstrings.

We also recommend:

Enoshima

Inamuragasaki Beach

Zushi Beach

[pagebreak]

BEER GARDEN

Beat the stifling evening heat with a frosty pint of beer in the open air! For those with more refined taste buds, refreshing cocktails and wines are served at beer gardens too. What better way to unwind yourself and quench your thirst in summer than with some chilled booze?

For a fine time with good vibes, head to the west for barbeque complemented with beer (or is it the other way round?) at Kichijoji Beer Garden. This popular summertime beer garden held at the exquisitely decorated eighth floor terrace of Kichijoji Daiichi Hotel is back for its 10th year!

Nakano Central Beer Park is only a stone’s throw away from Waseda, which makes it the perfect place for you to organise a gathering with your friends on the last day of school for a memorable night of end-of-semester celebration. You deserve it!

It is ironical that Forest Beer Garden is situated within the children’s play area inside Meiji Shrine’s Outer Garden. Despite being one of the biggest beer gardens in Tokyo with a capacity of about 1,000, seats are hardly available at this busy outdoor pub unless you arrive early or make a reservation a few days prior. True to its name, Forest Beer Garden is surrounded by greenery and a small waterfall.

[pagebreak]

SUMMER MUSIC FESTIVALS

Soundtrack of your summer, literally. Tokyo is THE place to be in summer if you are a huge music junkie! From jazz to idol music to hip-hop to rock, there is bound to be a music festival that is catered to your liking. Buy a ticket to one of Tokyo’s music festivals now for an experience you will remember for summers to come!

Summer Sonic

Sweet Love Shower

Tokyo Jazz Festival

Tokyo Idol Festival

[pagebreak]

CONQUER MOUNT FUJI

Climbing Mount Fuji can perhaps be coined Japan’s national sport in July and August, the only months in which the iconic mountain is open for public to ascend on foot. Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site just last year, Mount Fuji is a majestic mountain that has always been an inspiring presence to the Japanese. Standing tall at 3,776 metres, the trek to the apex is not an easy feat. Read the guide to climbing Mount Fuji by the Japan National Tourism Organisation here to ensure a safe, smooth and enjoyable climb!

After an arduous overnight climb, you will be greeted with an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and a magnificent view of sunrise at the peak of the Mount Fuji! It will be a physically and mentally demanding experience, but it will also turn out to be an exceptionally gratifying one!

As warm-up, why not hike the following few mountains before challenging Mount Fuji? These mountains also serve as milder alternatives for novice climbers who are not yet confident of conquering Japan’s tallest mountain.

Mount Takao, also labelled as the Disney of Tokyo’s mountain treks by Time Out Tokyo

Mount Nokogiri: literally, Mountain of Saw Teeth

[pagebreak]

What’s there not to enjoy in Tokyo this summer? Make every moment of your summer vacation in Tokyo count and write an epic summer story this year! Autumn will arrive in no time and trust me, before you know it you will be lusting for this radiant season again. 

Shu Shien is a sophomore at School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda Unviersity.