Glen Wirawan Podiono

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Name: Glen Wirawan PodionoNick Name: Papa PodiNationality: SingaporeanFaculty: SILSYear: Senior

HC Waseda: How did your nick name Papa Podi come about?

Glen: I really enjoy Japanese cuisine, and have always dreamt of starting a Japanese food business back in Singapore. One day, I came up with the café name “Mama’s Café”, but the name doesn’t seem suitable for me, does it? (Laugh) So I changed it to “Papa Podi”. Most of my friends, especially the girls, they call me “Papa”. They refer themselves as my musume* because I always look out for them and give them advice like a father. That’s where I got the inspiration from, and my friends have called me “Papa Podi” ever since.

Anyway, I feel that Singapore lacks authentic, homemade Japanese food. Right now, I’m trying to create an online store as the first step to realise my dream of starting a homely washoku** business in Singapore.

HC Waseda: What kind of online store?

Glen: I’m selling Japanese lifestyle products, such as those made from washi, the Japanese paper. I’m fascinated by Japan’s intricate handmade products.

Editor’s note: Glen’s online store, Komagoma, is officially open! Like Komagoma on Facebook for regular updates!

HC Waseda: What do you find the most and the least attractive in girls?

Glen: I think looks matter, but more importantly, the way they carry themselves determines whether they are attractive or not. The biggest turn off would be bad breath, and when they starve themselves.

HC Waseda: What is one special or memorable compliment you have received?

Glen:  When I was serving in the army, I was one of the three platoon commanders in my company, and I had 60 men under my command. One day, my men told me that they did a comparison of looks between me and the other platoon commanders. I remember this clearly because it was so strange. They were guys, gossiping about the appearances of other guys! 

HC Waseda: So what was the result of the comparison?

Glen: I think I won. (Laugh)

* daughter** Japanese cuisine

Shu Shien is a sophomore at School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda Unviersity.