Experiencing Autumn: Where to See Foliage Near The Waseda Campus & Tokyo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Folding into mid-October, the foliage has turned into a shade of reddish dark green color everywhere. The change in the color of leaves vividly signals the exciting arrival of autumn. Living in a tropical country my whole life, the leaves I’ve seen have only ever been within shades of green. Seeing red, orange, and burgundy koyo (fall foliage in Japanese) and the fragrant, or even pungent – yellow ginkgo leaves harmoniously decorate our surroundings, is mesmerizing. To make the most of this wonderful but short season, I have listed five places with excellent scenery of koyo that you can make a day trip out of, or enjoy or a simple stroll.

1. The first place is no other than Waseda University’s own Okuma Garden.

Admire the wonderful landscaping of the Ookuma Garden while eating a bento under the trees. Take yourself on a little adventure around the garden, and remember to look up to view the colorful momiji stretching over the sky.

Closest Station: Waseda Station (Tozai line)

Address: 1 Chome−104 Totsukamachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-8050, Japan

2. Anahachimangu Shrine

Located at the intersection opposite to the Okuma Garden along the Sodai-nammon street, the Anahachimangu Shrine is a finely decorated shrine dedicated to gaining wealth and having a successful business. This spot has held a shrine from 1062, however what is seen today is a re-establishment of the original shrine that had been destroyed in World War II. While a picnic seems inadequate on these grounds, its accessibility and magnificence makes it worth a visit on the way to the campus!

Address: 2 Chome-1-11 Nishiwaseda, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0051, Japan

3. Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens

The Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens have a different scenery for each season, but the most stunning one sets in autumn. Composed of several gardens, pavilions, streams and resting areas, this place provides both a relaxing and adventurous mood for visitors. With an entrance fee of ¥300, you would be able to spend a whole day immersed in nature. 

Closest Station: Korakuen Station and Iidabashi station

Address: 1 Chome-6-6 Koraku, Bunkyo City, Tokyo 112-0004, Japan

4. Yoyogi Park

Already known to many, the Yoyogi Park is also a spot to enjoy the fall foliage. Although it is less decorated (in terms of landscaping) compared to the Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens, there is plenty of nature surrounding the area and it is close to Meiji Jingu Gyoen-another shrine with a serene garden. Yoyogi Park also hosts events in which one can interact with nature, and provides more seating areas suitable for picnics. There is no entrance fee for this park.

Closest Station: Harajuku Station

Address: 2-1 Yoyogikamizonocho, Shibuya City, Tokyo 151-0052, Japan

5. Mt.Takao 

Mt.Takao is relatively near Tokyo, taking less than an hour’s trip by train from Shinjuku station. This mountain brings you not only the beautiful momiji, but also relaxing onsens, refreshing beers, and monkeys (yes, literally monkeys). At the end of the 90-minutes mountain hike trail is the Mt.Takao Monkey Park & Wildflower Garden where a family of Japanese macaques live. The Beer Mount, a restaurant that serves BBQ and beer, is located in between the monkey park and the Takaosan Station Observation deck. There is also an echo lift, which charges ¥490 one-way and ¥950 for a round trip ticket.

Closest Station: Takaosanguchi Station

Address: 2484-7 Takaomachi, Hachioji, Tokyo 193-0844, Japan

Plan ahead for a wonderful koyo sightseeing trip this autumn!

Hajeong Park

Waseda '23

A debate enthusiast. A believer of good will and karma. A strong supporter of the logical and sensible feminism. A lover of all cultures and respecter of all logical opinions. A speaker of my opinion, and a fighter for the right.