This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

It is every pet owner’s desire to have their pet live a healthy, fulfilling life by their side. As much excitement there is in spending time with them, there is also the inevitable phase that every animal and human must experience towards the end of their lifetime: twilight years

The media, particularly social media platforms such as Instagram and Tik Tok, has a vast collection of content related to pets. From influencers to viral short videos, internet culture is teeming with appealing content of living with animals, illustrating the joys of owning one. Whether it is owners documenting their lives with their pets or clips of animals displaying funny behavior, the popular message is that living with a pet provides an enlivening lifestyle – full of spontaneity and a sense of routine at the same time, especially comforting to those who yearn for company or the feeling of being needed. Caring for elderly pets is a topic that is usually eclipsed by the brighter and more alluring content mentioned above. This is not surprising, considering the fact that taking care of elderly pets carries upsetting connotations relating to suffering and death. 

Despite the urge to avoid addressing the issue, owners must and will confront their aging pets. Dealing with elderly pets is a crucial issue as improved veterinary care and increased pet products have contributed to longer lifespans of pets. According to an American study, both cats and dogs are enjoying longer lifespans, with dogs living an average of 11.8 years and cats at 12.9. Preparing beforehand, such as purchasing necessary products (e.g. blankets for cushioning the body) and understanding common illnesses that manifest with age can ease concerns when transitioning into aging care for the pet.  

One of the most common and arguably painful experiences for an aging pet is to become bedridden. Like humans, pets too undergo deterioration of the limbs, making walking either painful or falling over frequently. Falling over can lead to unwanted consequences of broken or dislocated bones. In case of dislocation, there is the possibility that the joint may be dislocated again even after it has been fitted back into place. For an aging animal, surgery can be risky as the body is already delicate. Recuperation after surgery would also result in further strain, since having a leg bandaged for example, would mean that the remaining legs would have to support the entire body weight. It is also necessary to have adequate padding underneath to prevent bedsores.

A bedridden pet demands a significant deal of care that simultaneously places immense physical and mental burdens on the owner. Moving the pet, such as for cleaning, takes strength as well as meticulousness, in order to prevent dropping or hurting the animal. The physical demand is naturally higher when the pet is large and limbs can hang limp. Perhaps one of the most arduous tasks is maintaining hygiene. Urination and defecation can no longer be done by the pet alone, meaning the owner must assist the pet, tend to repeated cleaning, and tolerate strong odors within the house. Being unable to move, means the pet would feel a certain degree of stress for the lack of freedom. In this case, dogs would be more vocal than usual, barking either for attention (e.g. wanting food) or out of frustration. There is a high possibility of experiencing consecutive sleeplessness from pets waking up and demanding help throughout the night. 

With aging, illness inevitably comes into the scene. Even pets that have received utmost attention to their health would have some part of the body weaken over time. Eyesight typically becomes impaired with age, causing the eyes to appear cloudy. Impaired senses like eyesight call for accommodations to the home in order to prevent injury, such as applying corner guards and edge protectors on the sides of furniture. For old dogs, vestibular disease is a common illness that affects their balance and if severe, intravenous fluids and hospitalization may be required until the dog can eat and walk on its own. Necessity for medications may become obligatory and possibly increase over time, both in terms of the kind of medication and amount. This means new pet owners must be aware of the possible future financial responsibilities in case their pet becomes ill with age.

Taking care is stressful alone, but watching a beloved pet suffer is another source of great pain for the owner. It is nearly impossible to not feel a sense of helplessness or grief to see a pet that has once been energetic to a withered, fragile being. For a pet owner, the best treatment is to provide whatever you can at the time. For those who are considering becoming pet owners, it is necessary to accept the future physical, mental, and financial costs of owning a pet. When surrounded by uplifting media of puppies and exuberant videos of owners traveling with their pets, it is easy to be oblivious to the harsh reality of dealing with aging pets. Just like human family members, pets too would eventually require almost all facets of their life to be handled by someone, and to experience the last years of their life in peace with their loved ones. 

Anna Kono

Waseda '20

Anna is a graduate from Waseda University in the SILS department. Likes art, animals, anything that is dandy and stylish. Needs to go to the sea every now and then to recharge.