Campus Cutie – Sayuri Yutani

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

This week’s campus cutie is Sayuri Yutani! Sayuri is one of the most passionate, motivated, and diligent girls I have ever known. If she starts something, she will not give up till she succeeds. On top of all that, she is a true Asian beauty! If you catch her speaking English, you will notice that she has a cute Southern accent. As she participates in many activities, she is usually busy, but was generous to spare a little bit of her time.

Tell us a little bit about yourself!

I was born in Japan. I moved Michigan when I was in 2nd grade and stayed there for two years. Then, I moved to Kentucky and spent 4 years there. After that, I moved back to Japan and I have been here since then.

What was it like growing up in America?

I think it was a great experience. I found myself lucky to have it because it changed me in a positive way. My childhood friends from Japan would tell me that I used to be very shy and quiet. However, after I moved to America, I became a lot more talkative. This is probably because in America, you have to show yourself and speak your mind.

Did you have any difficulty adjusting when you moved back to Japan?

Yes, I sure did. I was still in middle school when I moved back. So, it may have been the age that influenced this. However, I feel like in Japan, teenagers tend to cling together in groups and pick on those who are different. I was one of those “different” kid, so I felt left out at times. For example, some students thought I was full of myself because of my English skills. After that, I felt hesitant to speak English in front of my classmates. But even then, I wanted to maintain my English; so I decided to enter a speech contest!

I feel like you are very active in many activities including photography, dancing, broad casting club, volunteering, and etc. Where do you get your motivation?

I think it all goes back to high school. So, in Japan, we have what is called “juken” where students study hard to enter top schools. I had to do juken for my high school, but I was not able to get into the school that I wanted. I was a very competitive girl and so, I felt like I did not belong there. I wanted to get out and compete with those who were much smarter. Thus, I tried my hardest to enter a better school for college. Fortunately, I was able to get into Waseda University, which was my top priority. Not only that, I got accepted to all the schools that I applied to. Just like so, when I am competing, I get very much motivated. In high school, I was always trying to find someone to compete with, but now, I am always competing with myself! Another thing to add is that back in high school, I did whatever I could to broaden my perspective. That was because I was unsure of what I wanted to do. Also, entering high school refreshed me to have a new start. So, I tried everything! I took part in volunteering for JICA, APEC, and Model United Nations. I also volunteered at a nursing home for elderlies and at facilities for those with disabilities. In the end, I realized what I wanted, which was to maintain my English and to study journalism.

How was study abroad in Mississippi?

It was great! I chose America again because I knew how much time and effort it takes to get used to a new country. Since I have already lived in America, I already know the culture and the language. Thus, I was able to focus more on my studies. I also chose a school that did not take many students from Japan because I wanted to interact with international students as much as possible. I am glad that I was able to experience college life in America!

Just last week, you tried bungee jumping for the fist time. How was the whole experience?

It was very exciting! Apparently, I was in the air for only four seconds, but it felt much much longer than that! I have always wanted to try bungee jumping, but was never able to get a chance. However, I am currently working at Bungy Japan and helping out with their Instagram account. I am responsible for writing comments of encouragement, but I felt awkward writing one without any experience. Thus, I decided to try it! I am proud that I finally did it and now, I feel fearless. Though, I do regret having to jump in an awkward position. (*laughs) If I would ever do it again, I would spread my arms and fly!

As of yesterday, you turned 22! What is your goal for this year?

My motto for this year is “work hard, play hard.” This is my senior year at Waseda and last year being a student. So, I want to enjoy it as much as I can and experience many new things before I enter the workforce.

Can you give an advice to the upcoming seniors who are going to participate in job-hunting this year?

I would advise to experience many new things, but just doing a lot is not the point. Think carefully about each action you take! Also, Going over self-analysis is very important. You may realize that you do not actually know yourself! As for SILS students, I understand the frustration that may happen especially if you are a returnee like me. But you have to learn to accept the job-hunting culture of Japan at one point.

Thank you Sayuri for a great advice! If anyone wants to try bungee jumping, contact Sayuri. She will help you muster up the courage!