andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie – Patrick McCarthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Patrick (far right) and his buddies.

This week’s Campus Cutie is Patrick McCarthy, an exchange student from Georgetown University who is currently on his last semester of study abroad in Waseda. Patrick and I happen to be in the same Japanese class in which the theme of the class revolves around food. In our last class, he told me about how he had recently tried out crocodile meat as we then had a conversation about the upsetting topic of dog meat trade. Although that wasn’t exactly a conventional way of getting to know a person, the conversation we shared had greatly piqued my interest. I had the chance to talk to him right after his super muzukashii kanji test about hilarious TV shows, Japanese food, and his plans before he heads back to America. Without further ado… here’s a glimpse of what Patrick’s like!

Hey Patrick! What test did you take? Was it Japanese?

Yaaaa, it was kanji, soooo tough. 

Haha, what’s the hardest kanji you know?

Oofff, tough one. 機械ーmachine is pretty tough.

Yaaaa, that’s a difficult one. 鬱 (utsu) is the hardest one I know. It means depression. There are just tooo many strokes. Ugh, Japanese is pretty hard I’d have to say, haha. So why did you choose to study abroad in Japan?

I’ve always been really interested in Japan ever since I was young. My Dad brought me home some Manga from a business trip and I got really into it, particularly the older stuff from Tezuka Osamu (手塚 治虫). Then growing up I became more interested in the cultural aspects and was hooked from there.

Ah, my favorite Tezuka Osama work is Black Jack, it’s the one with the surgeon? It was a really big part of my childhood. So…did you learn Japanese before coming to Tokyo?

Yaaa— I started freshman year at Georgetown and then before Japanese, I did Latin for a really long time. I was really into philosophy so I really liked it.

That’s interesting. Does that mean you can explain existentialism to me? Sometimes I think I kinda understand but I could never attain a thorough grasp of the concept.

Oh ya for sure—like any good philosopher I can answer that question with an answer to another question…and existentialism— I’m not sure if anyone understands it, haha.

Haha, so you were born and raise in New York City…

Yeah, with my Mom I lived uptown around 92nd and Park and with my Dad I lived downtown around Tribeca, Greenwich and Desbrosses Street. Very different places to say the least, haha.

Ahhh. If I remember correctly, there are a lot of brunch places in Tribeca? I’ve been to the City twice and I loved it.

There’s a place called Bubby’s right next to my house—highly recommend it as my personal favorite brunch in NYC. I think there’s even one here in Tokyo, weirdly enough.

Oh, no way! I think Tokyo has a lot of western restaurants, bakeries, and cafes and they try to recreate them into trendy hangout spots but the atmosphere’s just not the same…

Agreed. Haha, still though, I think Tokyo has some of the most incredible food there is.

Yeah? What is your favorite food here?

I currently have a pretty serious obsession with Ramen, particularly まるちや, which means intestine. I know that might initially sound weird… but trust me it is incredible.

Whoa, you are a big fan of exotic food! Just earlier this week you were telling me about how you tried out crocodile and ostrich meat…

Yaaaaa—the restaurant is around Takadanobaba. Stumbled upon that place with a friend the other night. Food and movies—simple guy, haha.

Yeah, I might have to try that out someday! Probably not in the near future though cause I just decided that I wanted to try and go vegan. (note: did not happen) Speaking of movies, what kind of movies do you like?

Hmmm, that’s a very tough one. Director wise, I really like Stanley Kubrick and Paolo Sorrentino. Gun to my head, if I had to say top three, mmmm…The Great Beauty, Blade Runner, and Lost in Translation!

I like Stanley Kubrick too, I still need to watch some of his movies that I haven’t finished but sometimes it requires too much brain usage so I just watch dumb tv shows instead…

There’s a new show, Rick and Morty, which is a pretty great combo between those things! Also, Adventure Time—don’t have to think as much but still awesome to watch.

Is Rick and Morty on Netflix?

Yeah, it is! 

Awesome, I’ll be watching that this weekend. I also really like Broad City and Workaholics, if you’re looking for other ridiculously funny TV shows to watch.

They’re both hilarious. I tried to keep Netflix to a minimum while in Tokyo, but sometimes you just have to give in.

Yeah! As much as I hate to admit it, I spend most of my nights binge watching TV shows on Netflix so I completely understand. Okay, since NYC and Tokyo are two of the most exciting cities in the world, how would you describe both cities respectively in three words?

Tokyo— organized, endless, delicious. New York— endless, magnetic, home. Home might be kind of a cop out, but it’s the only place in the world that when I drive into, I immediately become happier.

Haha, that’s kind of sweet because there’s no place like home! You’re going home after this semester right?

Yaaa, end of July! Then I’m back to Georgetown after a few weeks.

Aw, that’s so soon! Do you have a bucket list of the things you want to do before leaving Japan?

Ooof, tough one—I actually made one going into the year, and I’ve actually done a solid job of getting most of them done. But for the remaining I’d say, eat uni in Hokkaido, be able to get through a full day only speaking Japanese, and win a dance off with a salaryman in Shibuya. I’ve lost three times, sore subject.

Hahaha, that sounds like a pretty legit bucket list. I truly hope you win a dance off before you leave Tokyo! And as for eating uni in Hokkaido, I’d say go for it. I had uni at Hokkaido and it was bomb.

Wow, I’m very jealous.

Yeah, you should be, it was amazing. Thank you so much for chatting with me, I hope you get to cross out everything on your Japan Bucket list! :)

I'm trying to be the good in this world.