Book Recommendation: ‘Abandoned Places’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

A lot of people find comfort in being among others, in crowded shops or streets teeming with never ending waves of people. There’s a sort of beauty in watching people weave through crowds and contribute to the electric atmosphere but is it possible to also find such beauty in emptiness?  Can people’s stories still be told even when there is no one in sight?

Photo by Julien R on Unsplash

Abandoned Places by photographer, Henk Van Rensbergen, explores just that with his spellbinding and chilling photos of abandoned buildings and structures from all over the world. Showcasing some of Rensbergen’s best work, Abandoned Places brilliantly captures what happens when the once majestic structures of mankind are left behind and how these lonely skeletons from the past manage to continue sharing their history with those brave enough to venture inside. 

While the photos alone tell their own story, Rensbergen includes interesting anecdotes about his experience shooting these photos and other details that make the images come to life. Since getting into these abandoned structures is often dangerous and sometimes life-threatening, you can be sure that Rensbergen has some exciting stories to share.

Interested in exploring more haunting but beautiful abandoned locations? Check out Henk Van Rensbergen’s homepage and the Abandoned Places website to see more photos from abandoned hospitals, mansions, hotels, amusement parks, etc. Enjoy! 

Thanks for reading! :) 

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.