Behind the Shiba Trend: Dangers of Pet Crazes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Having established itself as an internet sensation, the shiba dog has spurred a worldwide trend with its distinct looks: its iconic round face, V-shaped smile, and importantly, its bushy doughnut of a tail. Although the breed was initially known only by a few, it is now popular and appreciated beyond its origin, Japan.

The shiba has a strong historical and cultural value in Japan, where it boasts its status as a national treasure. Loved and treasured by many, it remains as one of Japan’s most popular canines since ancient times. Hence, the dog can be found anywhere; printed on towels, fashioned into purses, and decorated on vast collections of stationery. There is even an official magazine that solely deals with the breed that is simply titled, “Shi-ba.”

After making appearances on the internet, the shiba has garnered attention across the globe, especially in the US where memes and videos of the dog have gone viral. Spawning stars such as Maru and Kabosu, the trend has led many Americans buying shiba dogs.

via Boredpanda 

But this trend has a damaging effect that is shadowed by the popularity it has gained over the years. Caught on the craze, numerous people have purchased their own shiba dogs, not knowing well of their personality and needs. Unlike western dogs, the shiba “is not always inclined to do what a human wants,” and tends to be more independent (Hess). Much of the memes and online material featuring shiba dogs do not show their quiet, if not, stoic character besides their appealing looks.  As a result, this international craze has “led to more abandoned shibas” (Hanson).

via Boredpanda 

The current popularity and ensuing problems illustrate why it is essential to alert to-be owners of the responsibilities of taking care of the breed. This applies to not only the shiba but to all pets, particularly those that have also become such “trendy” animals. Many fail to realize that pets are more than mere products – they are living, breathing animals that deserve the utmost care.

Hopefully, the shiba dog and its trend can serve as an important reminder to all that before we start popularizing animals, it is crucial to also know what it takes to be a master of one. 

Anna Kono

Waseda '20

Anna is a graduate from Waseda University in the SILS department. Likes art, animals, anything that is dandy and stylish. Needs to go to the sea every now and then to recharge.