The Annual Sokeisen is Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

It’s a Waseda University spring tradition to start of the new school year with our American football game against our rival university, Keio University.  The 早慶戦 “So-kei-sen”, which translates to the Waseda University-Keio University competition, is the most anticipated inter-university game for baseball, soccer and other university sports but especially American football!

American football doesn‘t get a lot of recognition in Japan. Many people tend to mistake or not know the difference between American football and rugby. And because of this, what many of the students at Waseda University don’t know is that our American football team is in the division top 5 and has some of the best players in the nation. Amongst some of these star players are this year’s leading captains: Yosuke Murahashi (Department of Sports Sciences, senior), Kevin Coghlan (Department of Commerce, senior), Takuma Suzuki (Department of Social Sciences, senior) and Kengo Teranaka (Department of Education, senior).

Hear what the leaders of this year’s team have to say for the upcoming football season and Sokeisen!

Yosuke Murahashi
“I am this year’s Big Bears captain, Yosuke Murahashi. The Sokeisen is a tradition in which we compete with a lot of pride. We are going to make it an intense game that we are going to win. Please come and support us!”

Kevin Coghlan
“We won’t be defeated by Keio. I’m going to give it my all and to lead the team to victory.”

Takuma Suzuki

Our team is practicing everyday to achieve our goal of becoming the national champions, and we will be showing our best play at the game.”

Kengo Teranaka

“We will make up last year’s loss by winning this year’s game.”

Students! Don’t forget to cheer on your team at the Sokeisen this year on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 from 2:00PM at Komazawa Stadium. Show your student I.D. card at the ticket booth for a student discount! Access:

駒沢陸上競技場

〒154-0013 東京都世田谷区駒沢公園1−1

You can stay updated with everything Big Bears through their Facebook page!