5 Ways Japan Does Christmas Like Nobody Else

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

1. A festival for couples

In Japan, Christmas is not associated with religion or family (or turkey – see #2). Christmas Eve, especially, holds a particularly dear meaning mainly to those who are happily attached. Out and about on the streets of Tokyo, at winter illumination spots, and in candle-lit restaurants, couples can be spotted relishing in each other’s company.

2. Takeout fried chicken

Since the 1974, KFC has taken a huge significance in the way Christmas is celebrated in Japan, thanks to the widely successful marketing campaign “クリスマスはケンタッキ!” (Kentucky for Christmas!)

KFC’s fried chicken has come to be synonymous to Christmas here in Japan, with the fast food chain’s sales revenue spiking up to the highest during Christmas-time each year. Its menu today boasts not only fried chicken meal sets for couples, but also cake and wine for that extra romantic ambiance.

3. Christmas illuminations

From Tokyo Midtown’s Starlight Garden, its nearby glittering tree-lined Keyakizaka Street, to Shinjuku’s Terrace City and Caretta Illumination in Shiodome, Christmas illumination is today an indispensable part of a Tokyoite’s winter.

Whether with your lover, your friends, or your family, a visit to any of the beautiful light-ups around the city will surely get you into that Christmas cheer!

4. Christmas market – indoors

Christmas markets are increasingly making their mark in Japan as an attraction for the festive season. Tokyo Solamachi does a not-too-shabby rendition of the German original complete with wooden stalls, warm glühwein (mulled wine) and traditional Christmas sweets and trinkets.

Roppongi Hills, on the other hand, offers a similar but indoors Christmas market experience, so no matter how chilly it becomes out there, rest assured that you’ll be embraced in the warmth of the shopping mall (if not your lover’s. Or glühwein’s). In its ninth year of running, it seems like its popularity among Japanese families and youngsters is showing no signs of abating!

5. Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea

Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea win hearts with their impressive and elaborate Christmas decorations every year. The castle turns alive for its night show, jingling bells all around, Christmas trees, fireworks, our favourite characters dressed up all too adorably for the occasion, rides and parades altered to fit the season, seasonal Disney goods and accessories – what’s there not to love! The happiest place on earth (or at least in Japan?) to celebrate Christmas for sure. 

Image credits: 1 2 3 4 5

Shu Shien is a sophomore at School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda Unviersity.