5 Unusual Eats Along the Tozai Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Five Unusual Eats Along the Tozai Line

Are you sick of the lunch options around Waseda? Or are you simply craving for something different to light up your taste buds?

Although the Tozai line, tucked round the corner from Waseda’s main campus via the north gate, doesn’t get nearly half the attention of the JR line, it has so much to offer food-wise!

After all, it’s usually in the small corners of Japan where great eats are hidden! 

We take you down a trip on the Tozai line for five different taste experiences to spice up your gourmet journey in Japan!

行くぞ!

Soba-on-a-Tile (Or KawaraSoba 瓦そば)

Yes, you heard it right, it’s soba served on tiles. This special meal is prepared by placing tea soba (茶そば) on heated tiles. It is apparently the representative soba of Yamaguchi prefecture (山口県) and can now be found in Tokyo! (For only 880 yen!)

Where: (Fuku no Tori; ふくの鳥) 30 seconds walk from Urayasu station on the Tozai line.

千葉県浦安市当代島1-1-25 板徳ビル2F

http://www.bears-co.jp/fukunotori.html

Too-much-Tuna Don (マグロ盛り過ぎ丼)

Shaved ice with strawberry sauce? Wrong. Rice with too much tuna. Right.

A don that allows you to choose as much tuna as you would like, for only 800 yen. The sashimi sure looks fresh but the size does look intimidating… a little… Definitely worth an experience.

However, this very…impressive meal is not served everyday, so do check their webpage for details on when the days it’s served.

Where: (FIREBIRD) 2 mins walk from Toyocho (Exit 2) on the Tozai Line.

東京都江東区東陽2-5-18 1F奥

http://ameblo.jp/sushi-bistro/

Moroccan Cuisine

Heard of Tagine? Or Couscous? Surely you’ve heard of Kababs?

Well, if you have not, then it’s time to educate yourself on Moroccan food. Located just 3 mins away from Iidabashi station on the Tozai Line, this Moroccan experience would be a nice escape from Japanese cuisine. They even have Moroccan events and belly dancing!

Where: (Morocco Tajine-ya) 3 mins walk from Iidabashi on the Tozai Line.

東京都千代田区富士見2-4-13NOAAビル2F

www.morocco-tajinya.com/

Khao Man Gai (Thai style Chicken Rice)

Khao Man Gai is a simple dish served with tender chicken and Thai rice. What makes the dish irresistible is the blend of spices that goes into the ginger sauce. Pour the sauce over and you would have a dish you won’t forget.

Hailing from the streets of Thailand, you can now find this meal in Kiba.

Where: 2 mins from Kiba station on the Tozai line.

東京都 江東区 木場 6-11-9 1F

8 Scoops of Ice Cream

How about dessert?

With this eight scoop monster of course. Girls have a separate stomach for desserts anyway.

Located at Nakano Broadway (B1), these eight scoops of chocolate, green tea, calpis, sesame, blueberry, vanilla, mocha and strawberry could be in your tummy for only 390 yen!

Where: (Daily Chico) 3 mins from Nakano station (North Exit) on the Tozai line.

東京都 中野区 中野 5-52-15 中野ブロードウェイ B1F

What more are you waiting for? Hop on the Tozai line and start chomping your way through it!