5 Album Recommendations to Kick Off Spring 2018 Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Is your playlist in need of a little pick-me-up? Spring is here and it’s time to breathe some new life into the soundtrack of your life. Here are a few albums that may be able to help with that: 

1. After Laughter, Paramore

Don’t be sleeping on this band, friends. I’ve written about this punk-rock/pop group more than once and for good reason. Previously well known for their angsty punk sound, Paramore has long since evolved and gets real about the mess that we call life with their newest album, After Laughter. The angst is still there, in case you’re wondering. If you’re in your young adult years, at least one of the songs on this record will surely hit you right in the kokoro (heart).

Fave jam: ‘Caught in the Middle’

2. Black Panther: The Album, Kendrick Lamar

Please tell me that you’ve seen Black Panther. If your answer is no, then go go go! Do yourself a favor and watch this film, then if you’re still interested, give this album a listen. Created by legendary rapper, Kendrick Lamar, Black Panther: The Album includes 14 original tracks by Kendrick himself as well as other popular artists such as SZA, The Weeknd, and Khalid. A perfectly curated mix of rap, hip-hop, pop and R&B, this album will get you moving and make you feel like a Marvel hero yourself.

Fave jam: ‘All The Stars’

3. Call Me by Your Name (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), Various artists

Here is yet another (truly underrated) film that is a must-see and happens to have the perfect soundtrack to match. Accompanying a story about 17-year-old Elio Perlman’s sensual summer in Italy, the music on this album takes you on an emotional rollercoaster, mirroring Elio’s complicated feelings about love, longing, and heartbreak. From classical instrumentals to emotional ballads and dance-worthy 80’s hits, this soundtrack has a song for every mood.

Fave jam: ‘Visions of Gideon’

4. Chase Atlantic, Chase Atlantic

This self-titled album by up-and-coming aussie band, Chase Atlantic, has been one of my favorite recent finds. With a sound that can be described as a mix of the The Neighborhood, The 1975 and The Weeknd, Chase Atlantic doesn’t limit itself to a single genre. True to the rock ‘n roll style, love and drugs are central to this album and the intoxicating beats make every song impossible to ignore.

Fave jam: ‘Cassie’

5. Music From Before the Storm, Daughter

Spring is all about rebirth and starting anew. This album will help you do that. Daughter’s ethereal, melancholy sound always has a way off stripping you down to your bare bones and then putting you back together again. Perfect for rainy days and times when you just need to start over, Music From Before the Storm has you covered.

Fave jam: ‘All I Wanted’

See remix version here:

Thanks for reading and happy spring! :)

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.