3 Illumination Displays and Christmas Markets to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.
Congratulations collegiettes! We’ve finally made it to a much-deserved winter vacation! Finally, a break from the deadlines, exams and presentations that never seemed to end. We’re glad we got that done and over with! Now it’s time to enjoy the start of winter vacation and pop some champagne!

And you know what else is coming? Yes, that’s right, CHRISTMAS!

Get into the Christmas spirit with our list of recommendations for illumination displays and Christmas markets.

Illumination Displays

Odaiba “Yakei” Illumination

What could be prettier than an illumination along the Odaiba deck with a view of the Tokyo Bay? It’s decorated in the theme of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s The Little Prince and if you visit on the 12/26, you’d be pleased to now that there will be a fireworks display! That’s not all, there’s also going to be a sale on the Odaiba deck that day with up to 80% off on the participating brands! 

Date: now till 12/27 (illumination); 12/26 (fireworks); 12-26-1/31 (sale)
Time: 5pm-12am (illumination); from 7pm (fireworks); 11am-9pm (sale) 
For more info: IlluminationSale

Caretta Shiodome “Canyon d’Azur” Illumination

Every year, Shiodome never fails to disappoint with its amazing and perfectly-timed audio visual shows. This year is no exception. The display this year is inspired by the magical world of Disney’s Cinderella. The show starts every 15min from 5pm. Also, catch the 4 special programs at 6pm, 7pm, 8pm and 9pm that make use of the music from the movie, including popular tracks “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” and “Strong”.

Date: now till 2016/2/14 
Time: 5pm-11pm 

Tokyo Midtown

Another hotspot to check out is Tokyo Midtown. This year’s Midtown Garden area will be decorated with a staggering 180,000 blue LED bulbs in addition to the other displays in the mall and the bright lights draped across trees in the compound. A sci-fi theme was chosen this year, perhaps to coincide with the Star Wars movie that’s out now! 

Date: now till 12/25
Time: 5pm-11pm

Christmas Markets

World Christmas Festival at Yoyogi Park

While Christmas markets are usually associated with the Germans, this World Christmas Festival is a hodgepodge of multiple ethnic and cultural cuisines and performances not just from Europe but also Asia and South America. If you’re looking for a unqie Christmas experience to kick-start the holiday season, this festival may just be the right one for you! 

Date: now till 12/23
Time: 10am-7pm

Christmas Market at Yokohama Akarenga

It’s difficult to find a decent Christmas market in Tokyo of considerable size what with the size constraints of all the shopping centres. Fortunately, there’s one in Yokohama at the Red Brick Warehouse! With 19 stands along the quaint red brick buildings, I’d say it’s a pretty good placebo for the Christmas markets in Europe. There are also special workshops going on each week and you can even meet Santa on Christmas Eve and take a photo with him at the trick art exhibit.

Date: now till 12/25 
Time: 11am-10pm

Tokyo Christmas Market 2015 at Hibiya Park 

If you’re looking for a jolly good time, you should definitely head to the Christmas market at Hibiya Park. Like the Christmas market at Akarenga, there will be a smorgasbord of food and drinks, workshops and Christmas paraphernalia available. But, the other highlight of this market is its performances!  Catch vocal ensemble group Nostalphoniker from Germany, gospel choir performances from TAEKO GLORY & GAIKA PEASPEL CHOIR and enjoy the uplifting music from many other artists!

Date: now till 12/25
Time: 12nn-10pm

Merry Christmas Waseda collegiettes!