palace theatre signage 3004075?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
palace theatre signage 3004075?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

2021, The Year of Indonesian Cinema

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

From Shoplifter’s Palme d’or win in 2018 to Parasite’s Best Picture steal in 2020, Asian cinema has been on a streak in winning international audiences. This year, the Indonesian arts community has been celebrating the success of domestically produced films in the foreign market. Despite the COVID-19 pandemic that put a halt on local cinemas and film production last year, 2021 has only greeted Indonesian filmmakers with success. Though Indonesian cinema has been receiving quite the attention these past few years—with Mouly Surya’s feminist western Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts screening at numerous international festivals, and with director Timo Tjahjanto being in the front line of Asian action flicks—these four works from 2021 may open new doors for domestic films in the international stage.  

1. Penyalin Cahaya (Photocopier) dir. Wregas Bhanuteja

In 2016 director Wregas Bhanuteja became the first Indonesian filmmaker to be awarded a Cannes Prize with his short movie Prenjak (In the Year of the Monkey). This year Bhanuteja brings his work to Busan, South Korea with his first full-length feature film. Like all of his short films, Penyalin Cahaya tells a simple story. Suryani loses her university scholarship after pictures of her partying and drinking circulate online. Feeling betrayed, Suryani ventures out to catch the culprit responsible for drugging and leaking her pictures. 

Penyalin Cahaya will be screened in Busan Film Festival 2021, 6-15 October.

2. Yuni dir. Kamila Andini

Starring up and coming theater and film star Arawinda Kirana, Yuni explores the coming-of-age story of a young girl dismayed between her personal desires and societal expectations. Yuni becomes Andini’s second film after Sekala Niskala (The Seen and Unseen) to grace the Toronto International Film Festival. Unfortunately, both Indonesian and foreign viewers are still waiting for Yuni to hit the big screen, but for now, we can enjoy Andini’s short Sendiri Diana Sendiri (Following Diana) on MUBI Japan

Yuni won the Platform Prize competition at Toronto International Film Festival this September.

3. Ali & Ratu Ratu Queens (Ali & the Queens) dir. Lucky Kuswandi

Taking a break from film festivals, Ali & Ratu Ratu Queens reached a large number of people since its Netflix release in June. Mainly set in the concrete jungle of New York, Ali sets out to search for his mother but finds himself in an apartment resided by a small diasporic community of four middle-aged Indonesian women. A heartwarming movie about love and relationship, Ali’s journey in New York defines what “chosen family” is.

You can enjoy Ali & Ratu Ratu Queens available on Netflix worldwide.

4. Seperti Dendam, Rindu Harus Dibayar Tuntas (Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash) dir. Edwin

Filmmaker Edwin brings Eka Kurniawan’s hit novel under the same name to the festival screens this year with his interpretation of Seperti Dendam, Rindu Harus Dibayar Tuntas.  Starring Marthino Lio and Ladya Cheryl—who often appears in Edwin’s work including Babi Buta Yang Ingin Terbang (Blind Pig Who Wants to Fly), available to stream on MUBI Japan—his movie tells a story between a man with erectile dysfunction and a female fighter. The literal translation of the title being “Like Revenge, Yearning Must be Paid in Full”, this film explores masculinity and falling in love. This film secured a Golden Leopard—the top prize in Locarno Film Festival in Switzerland—and will continue its journey to Tokyo International Film Festival this October as part of its World Focus program.

First screened in Locarno Film Festival, you can catch Seperti Dendam, Rindu Harus Dibayar Tuntas at this year’s Tokyo International Film Festival as well.
Nadila N.

Waseda '22

Nadila is a Social Science student at Waseda University. She likes playing bass, watching foreign films and referring to herself in third person.