Meet the Society: Warwick RAG

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Warwick chapter.

Hi guys! Warwick RAG is one of the biggest student organisations on campus – just how many people are involved?

Last year we had over 1000 members, with about 1 in 4 people signing up to do a challenge event, and over hundred people came to our Freshers Bar crawl and Adoptions socials!

Awesome! Speaking very generally, what are the main aims and agenda of Warwick RAG?

Warwick RAG aims to offer fundraising opportunities to all of our members that are diverse and exciting, this includes challenge events, domestic and international volunteering, raids (street collections), one-off events and a crazy social calendar. 

Can you elaborate on what can be included in a RAG challenge event?

Earlier this September, we had a team of 37 go out and climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania – they raised an incredible £116k for Meningitis Research Foundation between them!

What kind of social events does RAG host?

We have everything from messy Circles to crazy Bar Crawls and our very own infamous Adoptions, but we also aim to cater for non-drinkers, and this year the popular ‘Laser RAG’ will return – that’s a game of laser quest, by the way! We will also put on our popular Charity Ball again and run a Tour (trip away) in Term 2.

How does RAG connect with other university groups across the UK?

There is a huge student fundraising culture across many universities in the country, we sent four of our exec to represent Warwick at the annual RAG conference in August, where they met with other RAGs and charities to swap tips and find out more about student fundraising. Many of our trek participants will also go on their trips with other university students, too.

Why should people join RAG?

The great thing about RAG is that you can shape your own journey: it can be as bold and daring as you wish, such as taking on the challenge of cycling from London to Paris, or as humble as you see fit, but by no means less rewarding, such as volunteering in the community, or you can just come along to one of our crazy socials! Whatever you do with RAG, not only will you have the chance to develop yourself as a person, but you will also make a difference to a wide range of causes, and that for me is what sets RAG apart.

Warwick RAG are holding a Welcome Meeting on Thursday Week 2, at 7pm in MS.02, come along to find out more about what we do! – Patrick Lavery, RAG President 

Emily-Rose. Proudly studying Film and Literature at The University of Warwick, UK. Follow my adventures on Instagram! @emilyrose.g