Campus Celebrity: Arthi Nachiappan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Warwick chapter.

Name:

Arthi   

Nicknames (?) 

None

Course:

PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics)

Year:

Second

Are you a part of any societies?

‘Hip Hop Dance: EQHO, The Boar, and PPE Society.’

What’s the best thing about them?

‘Probably feeling like you’re part of a community! I slip into different mindsets when I’m with people from EQHO compared to the Boar and the balance has always been what I need.’

What’s the most challenging thing about your course?

‘Switching mindsets to be able to do different subjects – while I’m not as practised at essays as straight Philosophy students or as good at maths as straight Econ students, we have to try and do well in the same modules as both which I’ve always found hard.’

Do you have any celeb idols?

‘There are definitely things I like about lots of celebrities, or at least what I’ve read about them, but I’m not too into holding up any one as my idol in all respects – it just seems to mean that any bad thing they do devalues them in your eyes when you could just appreciate whatever good things you can take from them and not expect anyone to be perfect in every way.I like Lupita Nyong’o for her style, grace and how grounded she seems.’

What kind of music are you into?

‘I really like hip hop and R’n’B, especially things that use dancehall and reggae beats which I love dancing to! Recently also started getting into garage so I can fake revision focus while its playing, but haven’t explored it much, yet!’

Are there any current issues close to your heart?

‘Yeah, particularly in the aftermath of Beyonce’s Lemonade I’ve started thinking more about different people’s place in discussions of race and gender based on what they identify as themselves.’

If you could have a super power, what would it be?

‘To be able to stop time and do stuff and then replay it when you’ve caught up on life. Maybe if you’d asked me at a different time, when I had fewer essays to submit, I’d have said something else.’

Favourite film/tv show right now?

‘I always leave the Graham Norton Show playing and fall asleep. It’s sick because he actually mocks his guests to their faces which not that many other chat show hosts do well… And I like how all the guests are interviewed at the same time, it makes for some funny interactions.’

Best halls?

Haha! I’d say Rootes – great value, great location, easy to socialise – works for you if you feel like you fit in there.

What advice would you give to anyone coming/thinking of coming to Warwick?

‘Try lots of things out in first year! And don’t let FOMO get to you too much!’

Perfect night in?

‘Depends on mood but probably involves really nice home-cooked food and loud speakers.’

Perfect night out?  

‘With people who love to dance but don’t necessarily care too much about looking good when they do! If you mean at uni, probably Pon De Floor!’                                                                   

Where is your favourite place on campus?

‘… Bar Fusion’

Follow Arthi on Twitter and Instagram @arthinachiappan

Emily-Rose. Proudly studying Film and Literature at The University of Warwick, UK. Follow my adventures on Instagram! @emilyrose.g