#wfufreshmenproblems: The Roommate Disaster Series (1/3)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I don’t know about you, my fellow collegiettes™, but I really wasn’t totally thrilled with the whole “let Wake Forest randomly assign you your roommate” concept. Was a 5-question survey of my sleeping and smoking habits really going to score me the perfect roomie?

When any two girls live together, there’s bound to be drama, whether you’ve been best friends for 10 years or just met two and a half months ago. Here’s the bottom line: we all have our habits that make us a tiny bit difficult to live with. Maybe you like all the makeup on the sink counter to face a certain way (if you’re one of the lucky ones with a sink in your room) or maybe she has to put peanut butter on everything she eats (even pizza crust) …

Like I said in my first blog post, all of us freshmen are in the same boat! I can promise you that you’re not alone when it comes to your #wfufreshmenproblems involving your roomie. Freshman year is the only year where we don’t get to pick who we live with, therefore issues are a given.

Since you can’t complain about your roommate’s annoying habits over the phone to your mom/dad/bestie at ______ (insert school here) for fear of her walking into the room … we can discuss them right in this blog! Here are a few roommate problems that have been brought to my attention and some tips for how to alleviate them!

Help! I’m rooming with “That Girl!”

My roommate comes home completely blackout Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and sometimes Monday. She wakes me up by a) by knocking on the door because she lost her keys and ID and b) throwing up all over our carpet. In the morning, she has no recollection of the fact that I spent 20 minutes on my hands and knees cleaning her barf at 4 a.m. #wfufreshmenproblems

Advice: Rooming with “that girl” is never easy. You’re supposed to be her roommate, not her mom, so try to remind yourself that taking care of her is not your responsibility. When you’re both in the room (and she’s sober) sit down and tell her how you feel. Explain to her your in-depth vomit cleaning procedure, and hopefully she’ll be too grossed out to drink that much again.

Help! I’m rooming with a night owl!

My roommate thinks little of sleep and therefore doesn’t care if she interrupts mine. I thought we both agreed that we like to go to bed before midnight. She stays up until 4 a.m. typing loudly on her keyboard, blasting music through her headphones and even making popcorn … all while I’m trying to sleep. She doesn’t get a clue from me tossing, turning and sighing either. #wfufreshmenproblems

Advice: Beauty sleep is precious, and you should be able to get yours comfortably in your own room. Unfortunately, your roomie can’t read your mind, and she may not be realizing your tossing and turning is an attempt to let her know that you don’t appreciate her behavior. Talk to her and express that her habits are hurting your personal health. Suggest she do her work in the hallway if she wants to listen to music, and use the hall microwave if she’s going to make any late-night snacks.

Help! I’m rooming with the girl who didn’t want to come to Wake & therefore has a really sucky attitude!

Since the first day, my roomie made it clear she did not want to be here. She’s the definition of a Negative Nancy and takes all her unhappiness out on me. I’m tired of her rolling her eyes at my outfits and making fun of my friends. Sorry I’m not sorry that I go out and have fun while you sit in our room and mope. #wfufreshmenproblems

Advice: It’s hard to be surrounded by someone who is pessimistic all the time. The most important thing is not to let her get to you. Try to stay out of the room while you do your work, so you’re in a more positive environment. Forget her when she rolls her eyes at your outfits, she’s probably just jealous you look better than her!