This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Kerry Michael Ecker
Hometown: Weston, Massachusetts
Age: 20
Major: Undeclared (Hopeful Business Major/Computer Science Minor)
Relationship Status: Single

He’s responsible, well rounded, and loves JCrew. Meet this week’s single and “authentic” Campus Cutie, Kerry Ecker.

HC (HerCampus): So you’re an RA here at Wake. Can you tell me how you became one?
KE (Kerry Ecker): I became good friends with a sophomore last year who was an RA. He was really different from me, but we’re such good friends that I figured it would be good to be an RA, too, and help kids adjust to college since it’s not easy for everyone. I had an easier time getting into the groove of college than others, so I figured it would be good to help kids who have a less easy time.

HC: Do you like being an RA?
KE: It’s a tradeoff. I’d like to be living on the halls with my fraternity brothers, but I like having my own space too.

HC: And you’re in Chi Psi? Why did you choose to pledge them?
KE: I found friends last fall that I got really close to who were in Chi Psi, and the first frat party I went to, I actually met the fraternity’s president and started up a conversation. And, well, the rest is history.

HC: I know you like to climb in your spare time. Tell me more about that.
KE: Well last year I was going to go somewhere with two of my friends, but they said we had to stop at the Crux first (that’s where the climbing wall is.) While I was there, another friend of mine convinced me to try to climb one of the walls. I ended up trying it and falling in love with it.

HC: That’s really cool. So what else do you like to do on campus?
KE: I played club lacrosse last fall, and I tried to do a lot of service with an organization called VOICES.

HC: What does VOICES do?
KE: We go into low income subsidized housing for few hours a few days a week and help kids with schoolwork and play with them. It’s good to give them positive role models. But this year I have a lot of classes during when we go so I haven’t been able to go yet. My RA from last year actually helped start VOICES. It stands for Volunteer Organization Inspiring Change and Ending Suffering. It took me forever to remember that!

HC: (Laughing) So tell me about your life back home.
KE: Well I’m from outside of Boston – Weston, Massachusetts. And I have an older brother and two older sisters.

HC: Wow, you are the youngest? What was it like being the youngest of four?
KE: I was exposed to everything at a younger age. I kind of learned from them, and did things my own way. My parents also gave me a lot more freedom to be independent and make my own choices.

HC: I bet you learned a lot from watching them ahead of you. Now that you’re basically grown up, what would you say is your favorite thing about yourself?
KE: I like that I’m a consistent person. I try to do things the most logical way, and things that make sense, and stick to them.

HC: Those are great qualities to have. So what kinds of qualities do you look for most in a girl?
KE: A good personality. Someone confident. And smart is a huge one, but not in-your-face smart, like a know-it-all (Laughs). She needs to be secure, and have her own things going on. She can’t depend on others for her happiness; she needs to have her own things to make her happy.

HC: Can you tell us about your guilty pleasure?
KE: Really long showers?

HC: (Laughter)
KE: Well, I guess Internet shopping. I’m into JCrew.com. I’m actually looking to expand my long-sleeved polo collections. It’s probably what I’ll wear for my photo shoot (laughing).

HC: What about your favorite chick-flick?
KE: Mean Girls is one of my favorite movies, actually. Clueless, too. (Laughing) I really like Clueless…two of the great high school movies. My favorite romantic comedy is Superbad. It’s, like, my go-to movie.

HC: (Laughing) That movie’s hilarious. So I guess besides laughing, how else do you let off steam?
KE: Some form of exercise. Bowling—I love to bowl. I like to go for walks too.

HC: Where do you walk?
KE: Anywhere, and I just keep walking ‘till I see someone I know.

HC: Do you listen to music when you walk?
KE: No. It’s good personal time. I like to be able to think to myself.

HC: You probably need the mental breather when you’re so busy.
KE: Yeah I definitely do.

HC: For the sake of nostalgia, can you tell the readers about something you did in high school?
KE: Like what?

HC: How did you ask a girl to prom?
KE: I made a t-shirt with a…what do you call those things? Like an acrostic thing on it, and we went to the Newport mansions in Rhode Island for a school trip. I was wearing the shirt under my sweatshirt, and I took off the sweatshirt in front of the Breakers Mansion. It’s the biggest mansion in Newport. She still has the shirt. It went:

Dana P. White

Dancing
All
Night
At
Prom together
Would be
Hysterical,
Insane and
Totally
Exciting

You in?

HC: (Laughing) Aw, that’s so cute! So I’m guessing she said yes?
KE: Well, funny story: Dana’s best friend didn’t have a date, and a friend of mine didn’t have one either, so I said to my friend, “Hey I’m friends with everyone, so why don’t I go with Dana’s friend, and you go with Dana?” And we all went, even though Dana was my best friend and I really wanted to take her.

HC: That’s so selfless and sweet!
KE: Yeah, it still ended up being a great time. I was class president, too, so I actually helped put the prom together. It was awesome.

HC: What’s one last thing you want Her Campus to know about you that makes you unique?
KE: (Gestures friend over) What’s one thing that makes me unique?
Friend Kristi: Kerry is authentic. He genuinely cares about people. Kerry cares.

*Photography by Kelly Guin

A Communications major and Journalism minor from New Jersey, Ellie has been writing for HerCampus for almost 3 years now. Known for her sassy personality and sunny outlook on life, Ellie prides herself on her confidence and composure- especially when it comes to how she writes! Ellie is the oldest of four girls, and in her free time loves a good book, the beach, and coffee of any variety. An active writer and blogger, Ellie is so pleased to have taken over the role of Editorial Campus Correspondent for HC-WakeForest, and looks forward to another year of lots of HCLove.