Zenia’s Declassified School Survival Guide: Making the Most of Winston-Salem During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Guys, we’re almost there! We’ve reached the home stretch of a ~unique~ semester, to say the least. Even though most of us will be at home with our families getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving in a week, I want to write about this past semester and how my friends and I made the most of it. Below you’ll find a list of places and activities that I discovered this semester. I hope it provides you with some fun ideas that you can try out with your friends in the spring!

Places

• Hawks Pumpkin Patch: Hawks Pumpkin Patch has become an October staple for me. This cute, family-friendly patch not only has pumpkins galore but also cute photo vignettes and a little farmer’s market. A tip of mine is to make sure you plan your visit sooner rather than later–my friends and I came a little too late in the month, so the patch was completely out of pumpkins!
  • Perry Lowe Orchard: Looking for a slightly less basic fall activity? Look no further! Perry Lowe Orchard is a gorgeous apple orchard about an hour away from the Wake Forest campus. Not only does the orchard offer picturesque views, but you can frolic around the orchard, take cute pictures, and pick ripe, delicious apples. Perry Lowe also sells delectable apple-flavored treats, such as apple cider and donuts. My favorite part about Perry Lowe was that it was situated on top of a small mountain, offering a breathtaking view of the fall foliage below.
  • Rich Girls Museum: As seen on Tik Tok, the Rich Girls Museum is a fabulous, Instagrammable exhibition filled with photo-ready backdrops. The museum features eight creative spaces that include a neon ball pit and a hot pink private jet. The Rich Girls Museum is only 30 minutes away from campus, and after visiting you can grab a scrumptious dinner in Greensboro. If you want to spice up your Instagram with an outrageously cool setting, throw on your campiest outfit and head on over to the Rich Girls Museum. 
  • Flour Box Tea Room: Another hidden gem in Winston-Salem is the Flour Box Tea Room. When my friends and I went to Flour Box, we channeled our inner “Emily in Paris” by putting on our chicest outfits for afternoon tea. While the exterior is quaint and charming, the interior is inviting and homey. There are a variety of different rooms in which you and your friends can dine. Not only does it serve yummy entrees, but you can order pastry towers that look like they’re straight out of a movie.
  • Crooked Tail Cat Cafe: Crooked Tail Cat Cafe has to be the best find of the semester. Located in downtown Winston-Salem, Crooked Tail is a little slice of cat heaven. One Saturday morning, my friends and I booked an appointment at the cat cafe and were greeted by fifteen adorable kittens who just wanted to cuddle. As someone who has a cat at home who ignores my existence, it felt great to snuggle with some adorable feline friends. You can make hour-long reservations at the cat cafe online or just drop in. Pro tip: book your appointment earlier in the day because the cats want to cuddle more when they haven’t seen as many people!
  • SECCA: As a person who loves art museums, I was pleased to find out that we have one right in our backyard. SECCA is an art museum right off Reynolda that features both modern and contemporary exhibitions. I visited the museum last weekend and could have spent hours admiring the pieces. Right now, SECCA is showing two exhibitions: “100 Faces of Winston-Salem,” a collection of portraits of Winston residents affected by the pandemic, as well as “Drawn: Concept and Craft,” a collection of over 200 pieces that pose the question: “What does drawing mean to you?”
  • Divine Llama Vineyards: I’m sure that you have seen at least one post of a girl holding a glass of wine next to an exotic animal on social media, but I thought I’d mention it anyway. Only 20 minutes away from Wake, Divine Llama Vineyard is the perfect place to celebrate a birthday or just treat yourself. Although I did not make it to the vineyard this semester, I have heard nothing but the highest praise about this whimsical place. I mean, what could be better than llamas and good company? 

Activities

• Picnics: As you keep reading, you’ll notice an outdoor theme trending in this section. During a pandemic, we can sometimes forget about the importance of getting some fresh air and spending time away from screens. To do that, I recommend a cute and easy picnic with your friends. Moreover, I suggest taking your food to go and enjoy it outside with your friends. A picnic can be the refreshing break in routine of which we are all in desperate need.
  • Hikes: This September, my friends and I challenged ourselves to go on a hike every Saturday. This so-called “mountain mission” was probably one of my favorite parts of the semester. We are so lucky to be surrounded by a number of state parks that are just a 30-45-minute drive from Wake Forest. My friends and I tried four of these sites: Hanging Rock, Pilot Mountain, Moore’s Knob, and Stone Mountain. Regardless of where you hike, I recommend getting a group together and taking an hour to get your blood flowing and see North Carolina from a new perspective.
  • Walks: If hikes aren’t your speed, I’ve discovered two beautiful parks that are perfect for a study break. First, Salem Lake Park is a gorgeous trail that surrounds, you guessed it, Salem Lake! I visited the park in mid-October, and the autumn leaves made me feel like I was in a Nicholas Sparks movie. A second beautiful spot for a walk is Quarry Park, aptly situated next to the quarry. This park features an overlook of the quarry and views of our Winston-Salem skyline.
  • Themed Gatherings: If you and your friends or roommates are looking for a Covid-friendly indoor activity, I would recommend spicing up a normal hang out with a theme! I’m sure we all have seen creative party ideas on Tik Tok, whether it be a wig party, “Euphoria” night, white lies party, etc. My friends and I had a wig night for which we got colorful wigs, put on crazy makeup, and played board games. I think occasionally making a regular hang-out more of an “event” through a theme can boost morale, especially during a time in which events are scarce.

I hope that this extensive list has given you some ideas for next semester! Although this pandemic, to put it eloquently, sucks, I’m kind of grateful for how it has allowed me to explore. In previous years, I did not step out of the Wake Forest bubble, much because I didn’t really need to. However, with limited social options and boredom on the rise, I was motivated to discover Winston’s hidden gems. I also am grateful for the halt to the hustle of daily life because it allowed me to get to know my people on a deeper level. So, I encourage you all to look at the glass half full when you reflect on this semester. There is beauty in the ordinary things.

Zenia Grzebin

Wake Forest '22

Zenia Grzebin is a junior at Wake Forest University, originally from Jacksonville, Florida. She plans on majoring in Political Science and Spanish and minoring in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Zenia loves writing, traveling, photography, working out, and the Eagles.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.