This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

This week for my biopsychology class I got to write a very fun paper which translated into something that at some point I might have written here. I wanted to share it as a reminder to pick topics for your school assignments that seem fun and interesting to you. By choosing something to write about that seems fun for you, you are going to perform much better. Without further ado, here is my paper, I hope you enjoy it!

The Brain Regions as Bakery Items:

Written by Neuron Nelly and the rest of The Brain Beat staff

The Prefrontal Cortex: A Pastry Ring

With four key components and being in charge of all complex thinking the prefrontal cortex has much to do. Like a pastry ring, it offers different flavors so that there is something for every neuron. The art of pastry, itself, is also complex just like that of the cortex. There are many layers to be made, similar to the six that exist in the cortex allowing it to be the highest part of cognitive thinking. To be fair, each lobe is not made equally, just as each pastry flavor is differentiated. The temporal lobe would obviously be the cheese pastry because it is so dramatic and always whines if it isn’t chosen first. The occipital lobe would be the cherry because it is so obsessed with how it looks, and apparently red is in right now. The parietal lobe would be lemon because it loves to make all the senses tingle. Finally, the frontal lobe (where our office is located) would be the rich, dark chocolate pastry, the most decadent and complex in flavor because those who do all the hard thinking must be rewarded!

The Basal Ganglia: Bagels

I have heard there is some debate whether a bagel counts as a bakery item, but as every bakery connoisseur knows, all breads belong to bakeries, thus they will be recorded here as the Basal Ganglia of the bakery. Every neuron knows how the “gang”, as they like to be called, waxes on and about how athletic they are running every day. They think just because they play a key role in most movements, they have the right to be considered as the most fit region. Every neuron also knows that the key to all that energy is locked up in simple carbohydrates. Enter the bagel, a great form of easy carbs to keep the body moving. Bagels and the “gang” go hand in hand: tough, full of energy, and constantly being hyped up even though they are fairly plain. If rumors are true, the “gang” is petitioning parts of the cortex to sign up for a triathlon so they can show off again!

The Limbic System: Warm Fudgy Brownie

The brownie is widely accepted as the best comfort food around. Who needs that comfort more than the limbic system, as the amygdala deals with “all the feels”? Further, the hippocampus is responsible for learning and putting things into memory, which is no easy task, thus making a brownie an essential. The extra special brownies such as the ones with chocolate chips or marshmallows must go to the cingulate gyrus and the nucleus accumbens which are responsible for paying attention and giving rewards. A brownie that special would obviously make someone pay attention and would be seen as a reward. Finally, just as the olfactory bulb lies within the limbic system, one can never get the smell of a warm, fresh-baked brownie out of their mind. It nearly always will put them in their happy place.

The Thalamus: French Baguette

The perfect, picturesque bakery item, the French Baguette, is what every neuron first thinks of when walking into a bakery. It is the perfect combination of a crisp and crunchy outside with a soft and porous inside that is so full of flavor, and it can be paired well with almost anything. The pores also work in a method to limit what is allowed in and what is not, just as the thalamus must decide what information should be translated and what isn’t as important! Bakers widely agree that the standards of a French Baguette shall be the standard for all of their products. If the quality of an item is not that of a French Baguette, then it may not enter. Furthermore, it is French so of course, it’s going to be extremely picky and only want perfection.

The Hypothalamus: Scone

Also known in England, the land of the fancy, as a biscuit, scones are a palette cleanser. It is the smart choice for when you need to reset as it is not too sweet, but not bland either. You can enjoy a scone at any point in the day and it will make you feel better. The same can be said for the hypothalamus. These neurons are truly down to earth, just regulating and making situations work. If something is not right, they handle it, and even when everything is working perfectly, they stay involved to make sure everything continues to run smoothly. Just as a scone will make every situation better, the hypothalamus is there keeping things in tip-top shape.

The Midbrain: Croissant

A croissant, like the midbrain, often gets overlooked for all the things it does. Just as the superior colliculus and inferior colliculus work to perform the tasks of sight and sound, a croissant, when made correctly is both seen by all the beautiful layers and heard with a perfect flaky crunch. Also, like the midbrain, the croissants have diversity in the flavors that they can be, plain, chocolate, or pecan. The ventral tegmental area would be represented by the chocolate croissant as it provides the most pleasure when biting into it. The periaqueductal gray would be a plain croissant, much like one might eat when trying to get rid of pain. A pecan croissant would definitely explain the reticular formation best. Pecans are a healthy snack and healthy treats would be consumed by a healthy individual. Healthy individuals nearly always have healthy sleep cycles. While pecans are truly decadent, they also serve a great purpose in fueling movement and the many tasks that must be done each day. Often overlooked, but within the midbrain lies the Substantia nigra, who ends within the “gang”. This means a croissant works perfectly fitting into the high carb needs of the basal ganglia.

The Cerebellum: New York Cheesecake

I do not think that this could have been more obvious. Being in control of higher-level motor coordination is what the cerebellum is known for. When ambulating in New York City, one better hope that they can move in an agile fashion.  Also, it is one dense city, just like the cheesecake itself. A New York Cheesecake while being very decadent is also one heavily packed dessert, much as the cerebellum is. Every neuron actually has tried to get through there recently. It is a very dense place where movement and coordination are key!

The Pons: Sticky Bun

Both a reliable baked good and a reliable region. Do you need a dessert? Have a sticky bun. Do you need breakfast? Have a sticky bun. What about a midafternoon work meeting? Bring sticky buns. Every neuron loves them as they are hard to resist with their sweet dough and caramelized glaze! Just as the pons is something all neurons want to communicate with, the sticky bun is something every neuron wants to have a conversation over. You have to be careful though what you share with the pons, they tend to have a big axon terminal and can be quite the gossip, sharing your business with every other neuron. Another reason they are like a sticky bun, they tend to make neurons forget themselves and be very quick to send an action potential.

The Medulla: Cannoli

At the base of the brain connecting it to the spine, the medulla can tend to be forgotten. The medulla allows all the afferent and efferent information to run through it, sending and receiving information from the body neurons. Just as the cannoli is a tube where cream is passed through, the medulla is the tube where information may be passed through. Just in case you forgot the medulla is also has the area postrema, which aids in keeping toxins from passing into the brain and may sometimes induce vomiting. This is exactly what the cannoli cream may do when you realize what it’s made of. (P.S. its ricotta cheese).

Final Notes:

We apologize if your region wasn’t listed. We had to try and keep it short and simple for formatting’s sake. We could have gone on continuing to explain how the afferent nerves are the customers coming in and the efferent nerves are the sugared up and satisfied customers leaving, and how the spinal cord itself provides the directions to the bakery. Hopefully, if you weren’t included in this issue, we will address you in the next one. With all that being said, we hope you have been entertained, but seriously please don’t stop reading here. There is a bunch of crazy stuff going on in this brain right now! Stay informed and stay safe.

Kylee Rappaport

Wake Forest '23

Current sophomore at Wake Forest. Coming from Morehead City, NC. Lover of dogs, running, baking, and reading.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.