This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

By: Jaclyn Eberting

Nothing could stop Billy Joel. From power outages and brisk weather to huge amounts of traffic, everyone coming to Winston-Salem was prepared for an amazing evening. The BB&T field was so packed it was nearly impossible to feel the frigid, windy air that night. The Piano Man came out and immediately started playing and as his fingers danced on the piano, the stadium went wild. Billy Joel performed songs like “New York State of Mind,” “Vienna,” “Big Shot” and “Only the Good Die Young.” I grew up listening to all of Billy Joel’s songs and I was in awe of the spectacular evening. One of my favorite parts of the night was his tribute to Aretha Franklin, when one of his backup singers took the microphone and belted out “Respect.” Billy Joel’s song, “Piano Man” was inspired by Aretha Franklin and he wanted to share his love for her and her contribution to music. Billy Joel is respected by his peers because he understands it’s not just about his own personal work, but it’s about sharing stories and experiences through music.

I frequently found myself dancing and singing as Billy Joel played classics like “She’s Always a Woman” and “Uptown Girl.” I could not have asked for a better evening from a true entertainer and will remember his performance for quite some time.

Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.