The Winners and Losers of the Fall TV Lineup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Fall is officially here! And you know what that means?

The new fall TV lineup!

With a mix of old favorites like Grey’s Anatomy and newcomers like The Playboy Club, fall television offers something for everyone—whether you’re into overly dramatic crime fighting series or if you prefer watching Carson Kressley perform a quickstep! Here are my top picks … and nix:

Glee

The New Directions are back at McKinley High for (most of the students’) senior year! And everything is topsy-turvy: Trouty Mouth (a.k.a. Sam Evans), Lauren Zizes and even Quinn Fabray have left the glee club. Here comes Blaine Warbler to the rescue! He becomes the newest member of the club this season. Rachel and Kurt are allies in their quest to make it on Broadway after graduation, and in the season’s biggest twist, Wemma (Mr. Shue and Emma) are not only a couple, but they live together! If for no other reason, the new season premiere was epic thanks to some mind-blowing musical numbers, including a spectacular mashup by one of the Glee Project runners-up, Lindsay Pierce! This is a season you won’t want to miss! (Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on Fox)

Two and a Half Men

The show isn’t new (duh), but the cast is! I don’t need to recap for you why Charlie Sheen’s character was killed off—via subway “accident”—in the new episode. And his replacement, Ashton Kutcher, is surprisingly a perfect fit! It doesn’t hurt that he is naked for most of the first episode. And cameos by John Stamos and the cast of Dharma and Greg (Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson) take the premiere to a whole new level! (Mondays at 9 p.m. on CBS)

New Girl

Who doesn’t love Zooey Deschanel? When I heard that she was going to star in her own TV series this fall on Fox, I immediately made a note of it in my iPhone calendar—too much? Nah! Seriously, this is a must-see show! Brief synopsis: Jess has just broken up with her boyfriend and has to find a new place to live. Enter the coach, the bartender and Schmidt: three single guys who hesitantly welcome Jess into their apartment. All you need to know is that they sing “The Time of My Life” at the end of the episode … definitely reason enough to catch the show next week! (Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Fox) 

2 Broke Girls

How long has television been around? Long enough to know that in order to make it, you have to be original. Sorry, CBS, but this new show, 2 Broke Girls, just doesn’t make the cut. I mean, we’ve all heard the story before: a hard-working, single waitress/nanny trying to make it in New York; a Manhattan socialite loses all of her money and finds a job as a waitress and tries to learn how to live like a normal person; and the unexpected duo’s shared dream of owning their own cupcake business. Really? There were funny moments, sure, but I won’t be tuning in to this one this fall. (Mondays at 9:30 p.m. on CBS)

The X-Factor

Another singing competition. Enough said.
(Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on Fox)

Want more, collegiettesTM? Check out the entire new fall TV line up:

http://www.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/fall_tv_premiere_calendar_find_out_when/253119

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.