WINNER of Mr. Campus Freshman, Donald Templeman (’17)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Donald Templeman
Year: Freshman
Hometown: Athens, Ga.
Major / Minor: Hopefully Finance with a minor in Computer Science
Astrological Sign: Aries
Relationship Status: In a relationship

He’s musically talented and romantic, with a great sense of humor. Meet Donald Templeman, this week’s Campus Cutie and the winner of Mr. Campus Freshman! You can check out his winning video here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2201818319410

HC (Her Campus): Congrats on winning Mr. Campus Freshman! Were you expecting to win?
DT (Donald Templeman): After the first day of having the video up and seeing how many likes I was getting, I was pretty sure I’d win, not to be cocky.

HC: Well your video was pretty funny. What made you decide to run for Mr. Campus Freshman?
DT: My sister’s a junior here and one of her suitemates nominated me. She sent me an email and I read it and figured it would be fun.

HC: Your video portrays you as a pretty inspiring guy. Is that true?
DT: (Laughs) I’m not really sure. I was just looking to make people laugh with the video. I interviewed my friends to see the funny things they’d come up with to say about me.

HC: One of your friends in the video mentions your radio show. Can you tell me more about that?
DT: I did the community service pre-orientation program, SPARC, and one of the leaders talked about Wake Radio. My mom’s whole side of the family did radio and I’ve been a DJ and producing electronic music for the past two years. I ended up getting a radio show every Saturday at 3 p.m.

HC: Cool! What kind of music do you play on your show?
DT: Pretty much all of my shows are electronic music – not like dubstep but more house and Daft Punk.   

HC: What made you get into music?
DT: I took piano lessons when I was a kid. I played violin in lower school and joined band in fifth grade and played the French horn. From there I switched to electric guitar and played for eight years before getting into electronic music. I also got into sound design – my dad is a DJ so he was willing to spend the money on the equipment.

HC: So what else do you want to get involved with on campus?
DT: I’m looking to join CHARGE, the leadership program. I have my interview tomorrow so I’m hoping to get that. I also haven’t rolled the quad yet or been to a basketball game. I need to get a lot more involved in Wake Forest traditions.

HC: What made you choose Wake?
DT: My sister goes here so I visited a lot. I was really looking at the school more before she was.  I don’t know why but I always played as Wake in NCAA Football because I liked the school colors (laughs). When I actually started looking at colleges I realized it was a good school and I really liked the size of it.

HC: How would you describe your perfect girl?
DT: Well she has to laugh at my jokes so I can pretend I’m funny. She has to have my same taste in music – music’s a pretty big part of my life – and the same sense of humor so we have a lot to talk about.

HC: What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done because of a girl?
DT: I was trying to impress my current girlfriend before we started dating. I had a whole date set up that started with a nice dinner. I was trying to set up a secret final destination for the date. Earlier that day I was out with my friends and found a warehouse in the middle of nowhere. There was a room in it with no roof and a tree with Christmas lights. I thought it’d be cool to go in there but the gate was locked. I couldn’t break in but there was a number on the door so I called it and found out that I could rent it for $50 an hour. So I spent $100 renting this place because I was too lame to break in (laughs).

HC: Aww! That sounds just like The Notebook! What was her reaction like?
DT: It was good at first but then it started raining. The no roof deal kind of made it a fail. It was the thought that counted though.

HC: Definitely. So it’s pretty clear that you have got a lot of fans. What would you say your best quality is?
DT: I wouldn’t say I have a best quality. I’d say I have a lot of decent qualities – kind-of funny, kind-of outgoing, kind-of musically talented. (Laughs) Just kind-of everything.

HC: Do you have a favorite animal?
DT: I have a new puppy – she’s a dachshund. I’m a dog person and I have three dogs, so I would definitely say they’re my favorite animal.

HC: Favorite travel destination?
DT: Twice in the past year I’ve been to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I love it there – it’s always perfect weather and the locals are so nice. I’ve heard a lot of things about service trips to the Dominican Republic, specifically in Punta Cana, so I want to look into that.

HC: And any words you try to live by?
DT: I always try to go by, “Everything in moderation.” That’s what my dad always told me.

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus