Who is Molly and Why Do We Even Like Her?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

“La da di da di, we like to party, dancing with Molly…”

*Image from celebuzz.com

Being the clueless, naïve person that I am, I first asked upon hearing this song: “Who is Molly!?” But then, I got the memo that Molly is not a person but rather, many raver’s favorite drug. I understand that Miley Cyrus does not seem to feel a need to be proactive in saving today’s youth, but was this line really necessary? Regardless, Miley does make a point – many people (so it seems) has been dancing with “Molly.”

If you haven’t heard, “Molly” is the newest trend (the next high waisted cut-off shorts, if you will), but in the illegal drug world. “Molly” is the purest form of MDMA (ecstasy), usually taken as a free powder or pill capsule. This raver drug induces a euphoric high and the ecstatic need to just dance. When “dancing with Molly,” you no longer are that left footed dancer with no rhythm; you are now Beyoncé…basically.

In case you are wondering, this kind of dancing does not come so easily. A typical raver, who shuffles when the beat drops, brings with him or her the necessities for Molly-induced fun: water, lollipops, Vicks ointment, or nasal spray, and is wearing one layer of basically nothing! The no-worded song of Martin Garrix, “Animals,” sinks deep into your soul and you pump your chest as you wait for the greatest moment in your life: the dropping of a beat. And then, your feet are moving in an unexplainable way and you are Beyoncé at a rave. Except, not really, because you are now high off of “Molly.”

*Image from magneticmag.com

So why not “Pop a Molly” and start sweating all the time and bust every move out there? Well, there’s the obvious – it is illegal and actually life-threatening (AKA: the Heroin of raves).

In August, the infamous three-day rave, EZOO (Electric Zoo Festival) in New York City, had to cancel its final day of performances due to the two lives that were lost. The final day’s list of performers included Armin Van Buuren, Diplo, Sebastion Ingrosso, and many other masterminds of dropping the beat. However, ravers had consumed their favorite euphoria-inducing Molly at such a high level that the city of New York cancelled all of EZOO final day’s activities. In addition to the two deaths, four others were hospitalized.

*Image from JSOnline.com

Is the loss of two lives not enough to stop a raver’s love for Molly? Well, it should be. The dropping of any beat, without being under the influence, is just a natural burst of jumping energy – so, why do we need to “Pop a Molly?”

Just dance – shuffle your feet in any direction, shake your booty, and wave your hands literally like you just don’t care, drug free! This genre of music automatically makes someone want to just JUMP! There is simply no need to “Pop a Molly,” because, trust me collegiettes, it drills holes in your brain. So, I advise you not to “Pop a Molly” but rather, just listen to beat-dropping songs alone in your room and Youtube “How to Shuffle.” You will dance.

Hey "y-all"..just joking I am from Brooklyn, New York. I am your Brooklyn raised loud voiced,spunky kinda girl. I have a New York accent and sassy attitude. However, I have learned to love the crisp air of North Carolina and the different pace of life. I am excited to have my voice heard and to listen to yours too!  
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.