When Senioritis Strikes: 5 Simple Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Are you are starting to get nostalgic about your last “anything” on campus? Do you forbid your underclassmen friends from uttering the “g” word (hint: graduation)? Are you in denial that Mother so Dear is about to become your Alma Mater? If so, that means you are a Wake Forest senior.

Although this last year can be incredibly exciting and rewarding, make sure it doesn’t become too exciting. If your class absences start piling up, your midterm grades have taken a nose dive, and you haven’t opened up a text book in weeks, it might be time to accept that you’re suffering from “Senioritis.”

Symptoms commonly include: extreme procrastination, little desire to go within a 50-foot radius of the ZSR, amnesia regarding homework assignments, increased time spent in bars, going out more than you ever used to, and just an overall lack of desire to do school work while you are soaking up every last minute of your time as an undergrad.

Lucky for you, the prognosis is good! There may be no cure for senioritis, but there are ways to make sure you make the most of your last year at the Forest, with your GPA still intact.

1. The first step is to admit you are suffering from senioritis. It’s hard to find help if you are in denial! Once you have accepted that your new found apathy towards school is a symptom of something bigger, you are ready to take action.
  1. The next step is to remind yourself that your senior year grades are important. If you are applying for graduate school or a job to start after graduation, someone will be looking at your transcript. If they see an honor student fall off the Dean’s List it might prompt them to rescind their offer or ask some questions you may not want to answer. Although this is drastic, keep in mind that being a senior is not an excuse to totally slack off.
  1. Third, find a balance that works for you. If you can’t seem to find the energy or drive to do any homework assignments, start with small goals first. If you try to cure yourself all at once it often leads to more feelings of being burnt out after three long years at #WorkForest. Also, find a mentor or someone who will hold you accountable, whether it is your parent, significant other, or roommate. Having someone else to whom you can report your progress can be extremely helpful.
  1. Fourth, try a rewards system. To encourage both studying and relaxing, make a system where you reward yourself with fun activities after you accomplish a set amount of homework or studying. For example, after you finish a draft of your philosophy paper, meet up with your friends for drinks at the bar. After you finish your calculus problems, take a trip to the mall. Once you’ve studied your Spanish flash cards, plan your outfit for the theme party you’re going to this weekend. This way, you can keep the GPA high and you are still having a blast in your final year in college.
  1. Finally, make sure you are taking advantage of Wake Forest in your final year. See the bell tower, explore the tunnels, go to the senior events put on by the school. Embrace every school tradition. Try all of the local restaurants you’ve put off for the past three years, check out Reynolda village, explore downtown. Make new friends, stay up all night, and try out all the bars too!

With all these tips, your senioritis is sure to be cured without missing out on fun stuff senior year. Senioritis, be gone!

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.