What You Should Do this Friday: Taste of Reynolda

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s a Friday afternoon. You are finally done with classes for the week, and all you want is a break from school, not having to worry about any homework, tests, or papers. So what will you do? Take a nap, go to the gym or watch your favorite show? 

I have a way better plan for you! Alexis Slater is a senior at Wake Forest and co-chair of the Reynolda House Student Advocacy Council. According to Slater, you should grab your friends and walk over to Reynolda Village. “It will be a nice spring afternoon, and you’ll have the chance to walk on the beautiful trails,” she told Her Campus. Of course you could also drive, but who wants to do that on a lovely afternoon, when the sun is out and you feel like it’s already summer because North Carolina weather is going crazy again?

You probably ask yourself now: what is so special about Reynolda this Friday? You could go there every other day of the year as well. Even though this is true, I highly encourage you to not miss out on this special Friday because it’s Taste of Reynolda! And yes, it is also April 1st, but this is actually not a joke; no worries!

Maybe you remember Taste of Winston-Salem your freshmen year? With all the great, free food?  “We actually got inspired by them and wanted to do it specifically with the Village.” Alexis said. 

But what is so great about having it in the Village as well?

First of all, there is free food! I am pretty sure this is already reason enough for going, because every college student appreciates the value of free food. The best thing is that it’s actually good food! Not to say that the Pit is bad, but it’s always good to get something different from time to time. “We will have tents representing Silo, Village Tavern, May Way Dumplings, and probably also Pane e Vino,” Alexis said.

Secondly, you can go shopping. Stores like Monkee’s, Boho Blue, and others will have booths and tents outside, so you can get an impression of what kind of clothes they have. “And if you like them, you can just go to the store in the village, as they will be open as well,” Alexis assured. 

And there’s more: You can also get creative! “You’ll have the chance to make your own piece of art in the Reynolda house and take it home with you, which is pretty cool,” said Alexis. Or you could even make a Wake Forest key chain. If you are not very creative yourself, check out the Reynolda House Museum of Art, where they just opened a new exhibit. 

Also, Wake’s six A Cappella groups all perform in the Reynolda Gardens, so make sure to come by and watch their performances. “The gardens are very pretty, as everything is in bloom right now,” Alexis said. 

But maybe you are the type to still be hungry after the free samples. Just stay for dinner and go to one of the restaurants! Some others might prefer to get a little active, so check out one of the yoga classes that are also offered in the village. 

Taste of Reynolda is this Friday from 3-5:30pm. “It’s just the third year we are doing it,but in the first year, we already had more than 600 students attending, so it was definitely a huge success,” Alexis said. So, I can promise you, you won’t be the only one there!

In case you wake up Friday morning to pouring rain, there is no reason to be sad, because you can still go to the event and participate in all the awesome activities. In the case of rain, Taste of Reynolda will be relocated to the inside of the Reynolda House. “We are still praying for good weather though,” Alexis said. 

No excuses guys. Come out and have a blast! 

Ann Schwede

Wake Forest

Lara-Ann is a sophomore at Wake Forest University, majoring in Communication and minoring in Journalism and Sociology. Besides school, she runs for Wake's track team and writes for the athletic website. She was born and raised in Germany, loves to travel and meet new people. When she is not practicing, she is probably sitting somewhere drinking coffee and eating Nutella.
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus