What Watching a 90s Show Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

So in the past month, I decided to watch my 33 year old sister’s favorite show from the 90s, Dawson’s Creek.  A sappy teenage drama full of love triangles and other teenage issues. And through this experience not only did I have a wonderful excuse to fangirl about Pacey Witter with my sister, but the show also taught me a few valuable lessons about life.  

1. Change isn’t always bad

“Some change that seems like it’s bad can end up being good.” -Pacey Witter.

While change can be something completely and utterly terrifying, it can also be something wonderful.  Change can be scary, but looking back on a tumultuous time, you can always see the good that came out of it.

2.  Dreams can come true in even unlikely places

“Sometimes wishes do come true, sometimes in even unexpected places.” -Pacey Witter

“Dreams aren’t perfect, Dawson. They come true, not free.” -Joey Potter

Usually we have these set ideas of what we want and anything that is different than that image is automatically not what we want and is bad.  But dreams come true in different forms than what they might have been originally conceptualized.

3.  Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there

“There are worse things than a broken heart, like the love you don’t explore.” -Joey Potter

“That kind of fear you’re talking about, it’s how you know something is worthwhile”

“The discomfort of uncertainty is the most precious part of the experience”

While putting yourself out there is a truly terrifying and vulnerable experience, regretting not doing it is even worse. Don’t think of all the things that could go wrong but all the experiences that could be lost if you don’t do it at all.  

4.  Love fully and completely

“Remember, to love is to live.” Jen Lindley

“I mean you fall in love and it doesn’t work out and you think that it’ll never happen again, but it does.  Believe me it does, in the strangest of places.” -Pacey Witter

“A moment of true joy is better than a lifetime of sorrow.”

Life is not fulfilled if it is not full of loving others.  And even if your heart gets shattered, it will be repaired, and it will love again.  

5. Remember that life is full of hardships but you will get through it

“Impossible situations are only made better by doing something about them.”

“It’s life’s twists and turns and bumps and bruises that make you who you are.” -Pacey Witter

“Why would you look back the future is out there.” -Pacey Witter

Overall, this beautiful show taught me a lot about life and not just who should be with who in the love triangle (although Pacey and Joey are the most beautiful couple of all time).

But the show taught me a lot about living life to the fullest and not being afraid to love completely and deeply.  

Of course the show also brought me the best lines of any teenage drama ever:

As well as bringing us an iconic meme: 

Jennifer Rokus

Wake Forest '21

Senior at Wake Forest University. LA girl living in the south. Netflix enthusiast. Avid reader. Lover of boots and pumpkin spice.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.