This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I, among the rest of the internet, was shook when instead of announcing Reputation (Taylor’s Version) at the 2024 Grammys, Taylor Swift announced her eleventh studio album, The Tortured Poets Department. The album name and tracklist leave fans with lots to unpack, and the apparent vibe of the album’s marketing has made my expectations sky-high. So, with that being said, here are some things I want out of The Tortured Poets Department.

1. folklore-esque writing

Ranking Swift albums for me is akin to what many must feel when asked to pick their favorite child, however, folklore takes my top spot. To me, after the release of this album, people started taking Swift and her writing more seriously, and for good reason. Some Swift fans might know the singer organizes her songs in her head as either fountain pen songs, glitter gel pen songs, or quill songs. folklore is Swift’s quill song writing at its best, and “The Tortured Poets Department” sounds like a welcome addition to this category. 

2. Music videos, like a lot of them

Don’t get me wrong, the amount of content Swift has been feeding to her fans lately is unmatched among other artists. However, one thing I would love more of is music videos. Swift’s most recent release, 1989 (Taylor’s Version), left fans with no video representation of their favorite songs. Some eagle-eyed Swifties have noticed that the background visuals on screen at the Eras Tour could potentially align with the aesthetic of this new album, and might be shots from music videos. A girl can only dream, because “I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)” is screaming iconic video. 

3. Literary references

As a future English minor (hopefully), when I saw the name of the album, I was majorly anticipating some literary references in these future song lyrics. Swift is no stranger to the art of the allusion in her songs, but I think references to famous poets such as Emily Dickinson, William Shakespeare, Slyvia Plath, and Oscar Wilde would be a nice thematic tie-in for her album. 

4. Good fashion

The Midnights era was full of some iconic looks for Swift, including the “Bejeweled” dress she wore to the VMAs when she announced the album. While the internet had mixed feelings about the custom Schiaparelli gown she wore to announce The Tortured Poets Department, particularly the styling of it, I have hopes for the future fashion of this era. So far, the vibes are calling for old Hollywood elegance, vintage touches, and a more mature look, all of which I am totally here for.

Kenley McClure

Wake Forest '27

Hi! My name is Kenley McClure and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I am from Charlotte, North Carolina also known as the Queen City. Most of the time, you can find me making or buying coffee, expanding my earring collection, dancing, or taking pictures with a disposable camera!