What Does Parents Weekend Truly Signify?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

This past weekend at Wake Forest was Parents Weekend. After a year where the pandemic halted any type of normalcy, this was the first time my parents had been back to campus in a while. As a junior who is almost 21 years old, learning to navigate having parents in town was interesting. This year, I have a car at school, so I didn’t need them to take me to target. I have already shown them the cool spots that I like to go to on campus. They have their favorite restaurants, and they have met most of my friends before.

As a result, I felt like this year was the first time that my parents felt like my friends at school. I didn’t “need” them for anything– I just had them here to spend time with me. I think it is interesting to see exactly when that transition happens for other people, the moment when their parents are able to become their friends. For some people, it happens much earlier, and for others, it may never happen. Personally, I feel like a lot of people can relate to that moment where you just become buddies with your parents. Obviously, you still respect them as your parents, but, for me, there was a transition through which I could hang out around my parents like they were my pals. 

It was amazing to see all the parents walking around with their kids at the student tailgate, out at restaurants, and in their dorms. It felt like kids were giving their parents a glimpse into their lives and what it would be like to be their friend if they went to school at Wake. It was awesome to see my parents worry about me less and just enjoy the experiences that I was having at Wake Forest. 

After this weekend, I also realized how lucky I am to have two parents who are still together and took the time to fly down to see me because not everyone in the world has that opportunity or ability. Their visit made me feel very loved and so appreciated. The happiness in the air throughout Parents Weekend is almost indescribable. Parents live for the little window that they get to see in their college students’ lives. For many of us, carving out time for our parents can be a difficult thing due to all the different directions that we are pulled in. That’s why I think this weekend was so important. To share who you are and what you are doing with your parents after they got to see you almost every day for 18 years before college is remarkable. This weekend was so special, and I can’t wait to do it all again next year. 

Colleen Condon

Wake Forest '23

Hi I am Colleen Condon and I am a sophomore at Wake Forest University! I am majoring in Psychology and Communication with a minor in Entrepreneurship. I am from the suburbs of Chicago and love participating in HerCampus. I am super into sports, playing soccer and basketball in high school and now playing club basketball in college. I am also interested in wellness. As a pescatarian and an avid gym attendee I am always looking for ways to better myself!