Charlotte skyline

Weekend Getaway: Guide to the Queen City

If you need a change of scenery, Charlotte, North Carolina is perfect for a day trip or weekend stay. As a native Charlottean, here are my tips for visiting the Queen City:

1. Take a stroll in Romare Bearden Park 

Located near BB&T Ballpark, Romare Bearden is great for relaxing after exploring Uptown. If the weather is nice, I highly recommend having a picnic here. This spot is great for getting pictures of Uptown! 

2. Visit the Mint Museum Uptown 

The Mint recently reopened, and I am excited to see the New Days, New Works exhibit. College students can get a ticket for only $10! The museum is also located near other popular attractions, like Bank of America Stadium or Romare Bearden Park. You’ll find plenty of great restaurants nearby, too.

3. Do some retail therapy at South Park Mall 

We all need a little shopping spree once in a while. Pick up some fall staples at Urban Outfitters or browse Anthropologie for dorm decor. 

4. Coffee break at Coco and The Director 

This is my favorite coffee shop in Uptown Charlotte! The layout includes steps with pillows to sit down, which makes it easier to social distance. Since it’s located in the heart of Uptown, you can easily walk to other spots.  

5. Grab a bite at Optimist Hall 

Before returning to Wake, I had the chance to visit Optimist Hall. With about 20+ vendors, this is the perfect spot for when you don’t know what to eat. I recommend the Bulgogi Bun at Bao and Broth. There are plenty of tables scattered throughout the hall, so you can find many locals studying or working here.