Wear We Pink on Wednesdays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Allie Meyer (’17) wears a pretty, light pink shirt under a cardigan to show support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Why do you wear pink?

“I wear pink to raise awareness so that fewer children will have to see their mothers suffer and be taken away from them prematurely by breast cancer.” Allie’s close friend lost her mother to breast cancer during her sophomore year of high school, and since then Allie has been a big advocate for breast cancer support and research.

In her hometown of Madison, New Jersey, Allie supports the organization called “Fight Like A Sissy,” which is an organization that was created in the honor of a local woman named Sissy, who was battling breast cancer. Allie’s friend makes the merchandise with the slogan on it, and donates the funds towards breast cancer research. Follow Allie’s example and find a group either at Wake or in your hometown where you can show your support and get involved!

How to Incorporate Pink into Your Daily Style:

Don’t own a lot of pink clothes? Pull a Cady Heron and borrow your friend’s pink shirt, or show support in other ways! You can subtly incorporate pink by painting your nails a pretty shade of pink, donning a ribbon somewhere on your person, or shopping for products where the profits support breast cancer research. Use social media to help show support for the fight against breast cancer as well! Pin a campaign for research or support, tweet about it, or regram an Instagram. Spread awareness and demonstrate your support any way you can because every little bit counts!

And remember just because October is coming to an end does not mean your support should stop. There are so many ways to help the fight throughout the year! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.