Walt Reece (’12)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Walter Byron Reece
Birthday: April 22, 1990
Class: Senior
Major: Business & Enterprise Management (BEM)
Hometown: High Point, NC

Her Campus (HC): So you’re from High Point—why did you choose Wake Forest?
Walt Reece (WR): I’ve been a Wake Forest fan my entire life. My dad went to Wake Forest—his dad was Dean of Students at Wake Forest. So there was no doubt I was going to Wake Forest. There was no other option.

HC: What’s been your biggest achievement at Wake so far?
WR: My biggest achievement at Wake Forest was probably winning 3rd place at the Marketing Summit a few weeks ago for the Wake Forest Schools of Business. It was 3rd place in an international competition against some of the best business schools, so it was an honor to bring that recognition to Wake Forest.

HC: Okay, so tell me something most people don’t know about you?
WR: Some people know this about me but some people don’t … but I’m a rapper, or I at least used to be. I made a rap album my senior year of high school, and to this day I still dabble and make a few songs just for fun. I love it as a hobby, and I’ve always liked rap music, and I can kinda do it well, but I can’t really freestyle (laughs).

HC: (Laughs) Do you have a nickname?
WR: My nickname is Walta B, which stands for Walter Byron. So a lot of people, especially my close friends, call me Walta B or Walt B.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?
WR: I’m a member of the Kappa Alpha Order. Being a senior, I’m not as involved in the clubs I was involved in last year. I was involved with Interfraternity Council (IFC), the Wake Forest Student Giving Campaign, and I worked at the ZSR library freshman to junior year. So I guess with senior year you kinda fade out of the clubs you were involved in … but I consider myself pretty involved on campus.

HC: Okay so infamous question: boxers or briefs?
WR: (Laughs) Boxers, just because there’s more space!

HC: So what’s the most embarrassing moment you’ve ever had?
WR: I remember in 2nd grade, I was at a girl’s house, and I peed my pants. No excuses for that one! But the girl’s mom had to call my mom to come pick me up, and you know, it was really embarrassing, but it built a lot of character.

[pagebreak]
HC: What’s the craziest or most romantic thing you’ve ever done to get a girl’s attention?
WR: I guess senior year in high school on Valentine’s Day you could send your crush or Valentine a carnation and a note. So I sent a girl that really didn’t know me that well a carnation and asked her to a dance coming up.

HC: Wait was this for Crystal Ball?
WR: Yeah. She said yes, and she ended up being my girlfriend for a couple of years.

HC: What’s your relationship status now?
WR: Single – keeping my options open.

HC: Where would you take a girl on a first date?
WR: Definitely BFAC (The Biscuit Factory)!

HC: Yeah you’re not from High Point if you don’t like BFAC!
WR: Gotta love High Point – biscuit factory for life.

HC: So what’s the best date you’ve ever had?
WR: Well I’m a pretty simple guy. Probably the best dates happen in the summer. You can go out to eat for lunch, maybe go to the pool for a few hours, and then watch a movie. Just enjoy a relaxing day.

HC: Do you kiss on the first date?
WR: Always a game-time decision. Depends on the vibe I am getting from the girl (laughs).

HC: What’s your biggest turn-on?
WR: I like girls who can laugh at my jokes even when they’re not funny (laughs)—girls who are fun to be around, have a good personality, and like to smile a lot. Basically someone with a positive outlook on life.

HC: Biggest turnoff?
WR: Biggest turnoff … I don’t like snobby girls—girls who just act like they’re better than everyone and complain a lot.

[pagebreak]
HC: So do you have any plans for spring break?
WR: Me and a couple of guys from my fraternity are going to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I’ll definitely be bringing my SPF 30 (laughs)!

HC: Have you had the opportunity to study abroad?
WR: Yes. I went to Salamanca, Spain to study Spanish. Best time of my life with some of the best people I have ever met. I consider those guys and girls to be some of my best friends.

HC: Is there a particular teacher who influenced you to like Spanish so much?
WR: Yeah, I went to Costa Rica my junior year of high school with Señor Smith. Did you have him?

HC: Yeah I did. He was by far my favorite teacher. So why Spanish?
WR: I loved Costa Rica and the culture. I just feel that Spanish is going to be an important language to know years down the road. Plus the girls are pretty good looking (laughs).

HC: Do you have any plans for after graduation?
WR: I’m planning to stick around in Winston and work for Northwestern Mutual as a financial rep and hopefully become a financial planner for people across the Triad.

HC: Okay so 10 years from now, where do you see yourself?
WR: Hopefully married, maybe a couple of kids. But you never know what life will deal you. I just hope to keep an open mind and make the most out of the opportunities presented to me.

*Photography by Grace Boatwright

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.