Wake’s Best B.S. Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

‘Work’ Forest comes by its name honestly. Students spend 4 years in the library reading Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey, memorizing the chemical formula for sodium hexachoroaluminate and writing a dissertation on visual statistical learning.

You’re right, Mom, learning is fun.

Well, never fear collegiettes™, because there are college classes that won’t kill all of your brain cells before graduation! (Disclaimer: These classes don’t necessarily do anything for your resume, but what’s more important in life—getting ahead or having fun? I digress …)

Take my advice as a fourth-year student: while it’s super important to do well in your major/minor classes and impress future employers with every-level accounting and economics classes on your resume, you also need to make room in your schedule for some classes that are total b.s.! Here are some of the very best b.s. classes at Wake!

Introduction to Drawing

Find yourself doodling in class all day? You might as well get course credit for it! That’s right—a whole class devoted to DOODLING! Okay so it’s a little more technical than that, but think how pretty your history notes will look after taking this course!

Personal Framework for Career Exploration

Long, fancy name for “Help! I Don’t Know What to Do with My Life!” Need help choosing a major or a career field? You’re in luck, because by taking this class, you can devote half of a semester to exploring all your options. Imagine, if you will, what a typical homework assignment might look like: “Make a list of 10 jobs that interest you.” Five minutes. Done.

Children’s Literature

Like to read, but not really prepared to read 10 books in 15 weeks? How about reading kids’ books instead? I’m not kidding! I took this class, and the most stressful part was trying to decide what character to imitate at our final class party. (If you’re curious, I was Peter Rabbit.)

[pagebreak]

HES 100-levels

Take your pick: Sports Proficiency, Weight Training, Beginning/Intermediate Tennis, Beginning/Intermediate Golf, Bowling, Volleyball, Beginning/Intermediate/Advanced Ice Skating, T’ai Chi. Enough said.

History of American Musical Theatre

Did you know that Julie Andrews was the original Eliza Doolittle on Broadway? If not, that’s okay. There’s a class at Wake for that! And the best part is … you watch movies all the time in class! Best b.s. class ever!

Human Sexuality

They say that college is a time for experimentation, so why not? So when you’re parents ask you what the heck you were thinking, you will have an arsenal of psychology research to defend yourself. Please and thank you.

[pagebreak]

Mime

Quote: “Introduces basic mime forms. The student gains skills and understanding of this theatrical form through practical exercises, readings, rehearsals and performances.” Translation: plan B for when that Deloitte interview doesn’t go so well.

Social Dance

Probably the most practical and useful b.s. class offered at Wake. Girls, grab a guy and learn how to salsa!

(www.armstrong.edu)

R.A.D.: Rape Aggression Defense

… you’ll save money on pepper spray.

Remember, collegiettes™: college is supposed to be fun! Choosing a b.s. class or two each semester will keep you sane when the going gets tough (and the hours in the ZSR seem endless). And they’ll be some of the most memorable classes you’ll take at Wake!

*Photography by Lauren Martinez

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.