Wake 101: The Dos and Don’ts of Carolina Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

With Carolina Cup just around the corner, I want every Collegiette to know how to stay classy and kill it at the horse race of the year.

1. Do wear comfortable shoes!

If you are feeling brave, rock those summertime wedges you have been dying to break out, but make sure you pack a pair of cute sandals to save the day if you start to feel a little wobbly. Carolina Cup is a fabulous event but it is also a long one – and comfortable shoes are necessary. The last thing you want is your feet to give out on you an hour into the day. So think of your Jack Rogers as your new best friend! This is a day you won’t want to leave them behind.

2. Don’t lose your buddy!

There are rows upon rows of fraternity flags and trucks stationed at Carolina Cup and it could get confusing if you start to wander. Definitely truck-hop and meet new people, but I would not advise any lovely Wake Forest gal to brave the horse race by her lonesome. Make a pact with your best friend to never let each other too far out of the other’s sight. If you are attending the race with a date, feel free to do your own thing, but remember where camp is at all times.

3. Do remember the heat!

With so much fun in the sun, one can become forgetful or even faint. Don’t forget or misplace the essentials: sunscreen, sunglasses, and your adorable sun hat, which can be monogrammed right in the Benson Copy Center. Please try to alternate your beverages with water too. Becoming dehydrated on this fun-filled day won’t be fun for you, or your friends.

4. Don’t forget your charger!

Many buses to the event may have outlets, which you can use to charge your cell to and from Carolina Cup. If not, make sure to give your phone a solid full night’s charge and don’t drain your battery scrolling through Twitter and Instagram on the way to the race. This is what you’ll want to be able to do on the way back from the Cup and you can’t do so if your phone is dead! So charge up, turn your brightness down, and get those primo pics for Instagram, because after all… If you didn’t get a picture at Carolina Cup… did you even go? ;)

(From left to right): Hannah Storey, Emily Norris and Sarah Wombwell enjoy Carolina Cup last year. Wombwell said: “I’m so excited to go back again this year! Last year so fun and I can’t wait to enjoy the event again, this time with a whole new outfit!” 

Go Deacs! :)
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.