diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Treat Others the Way You Want to Be Treated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In this day and age, people are so fixated on doing what they can to get ahead and succeed. People look down on random acts of kindness with contempt rather than with admirability. Individuals are so fixated on portraying themselves in the ideal image, hanging out with the “correct” group of friends, or acting in whatever way they desire without realizing the implications of their actions. It can be rare to find genuine authenticity, integrity, and kindness from peers. 

At a young age my mom gave me the advice to “treat others the way you want to be treated,” and to this day I hold that advice near and dear to my heart. I pride myself on being a very empathetic and sensitive person who holds emotions very fragilely. The way people treat me is the way I perceive how much they care, or not care, about me. Every little interaction that I have with someone can either sway my mood positively or negatively. I am very sensitive to how others treat me because I tend to care more about the emotions of others rather than my own. Yes, this mentality might result in me getting hurt more than I should, but I take pride in my sensitivity and use it as a learning lesson. Being emotionally affected by other’s actions has shown me the ways that I do, or do not, want to be treated by someone. It has allowed me to become conscious and aware of how I should treat others equitably. 

The façade we put on might not be how we are feeling: everyone is going through something. The smiling girl in class, the loud, outgoing athlete, even your; they all have their problems. We must be conscious of this fact, even if we dislike someone. It is more important to treat people with respect and in a polite manner than it is to hold onto feelings of ill will or discomfort. It is more admirable to show a stranger or friend compassion just from the own kindness of our hearts than it is to ignore them. Recognizing the needs of others will make way for stronger relationships to form.

The way we treat people is a reliable indicator of who we are as individuals and what we value. After all, what we have in the end is our legacy. Treating others the way we want to be treated goes far beyond simple acts of kindness; it shows us as well as others who we are. Being kind is a quality that can never do anyone harm. I am not saying we must always do things for other people; rather I am saying it is not hard to show others human decency and take their feelings into account. There is a great deal of good in the world if we all treat others the way we want to be treated than we can make a difference and make the world a better place.  

Alyssa Klier

Wake Forest '21

My name is Alyssa. I am a student at Wake Forest University majoring in Communication with minors in Writing and Sociology. I've spent my recent summer studying abroad in Europe. I am interested in pursuing a career in the legal field.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.