Top News Stories of the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

School is back in session after a three-month break. For most of you, it was filled with beach trips, poolside days, and a full social planner. While your summer was spent relaxing and recovering from all those exams and research papers, the world was changing with both tragic and uplifting stories. So let’s look at what happened in review:

Charleston Massacre

On June 17th, a mass shooting took place in Charleston, S.C. at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, with nine people killed by gunman Dylann Roof during a prayer service. The police determined the shooting was a hate crime and charged Roof with nine counts of murder. This tragedy highlights the persistence of racist and white supremacist ideals and has sparked the debate over the symbolism of the Confederate flag.  

Cuban and U.S. Embassies

After over fifty years, the U.S. and Cuba reopened embassies in each other’s capitals. As of last year, the U.S. had managed to develop a formal relationship with Cuba after decades of the diplomatic cold shoulder. However, it wasn’t until the embassies’ reopening this summer that we can see the beginnings of a warmer relationship.

Lafayette Movie Theater Shooting

On July 23rd, gunman John Russell Houser opened fire during the showing of ‘Trainwreck’ in Lafayette, LA. He killed two and injured nine before committing suicide. The shooting has prompted discussion on mental health services funding and possibly stricter gun regulations.

Iran Nuclear Deal

Iran and other nations officially signed the agreement meant to curb Iran’s nuclear development, such as tightening restrictions on uranium enrichment. In return, Iran will receive relief from the U.S., who will cease nuclear-related sanctions.   

Cecil the Lion

Another tragic event this summer was the death of Cecil the lion who was lured from a national park and killed by American Walter Palmer for sport. The lion’s death caused uproar among animal conservationists, politicians, celebrities, and the public. This event has renewed a wave of action against wildlife hunting and poaching on a governmental level.

Gay Marriage

After a long awaited debate, Congress finally legalized same-sex marriage in all fifty states this summer. The refusal of same-sex marriage licenses and recognition of those marriages were determined to be unconstitutional. This motion has revealed how our nation is headed towards a more accepting and progressive future when it comes to social topics.

These were just a handful of top news stories of summer 2015. Hopefully, they informed you all on what is going on in the world! 

Megan Schmit

Wake Forest